Which of the following must be true about the area A of the triangle?

In summary, the area A of a triangle is decreasing only when the base b is greater than the height h, given that the base is increasing at a rate of 3 inches per minute and the height is decreasing at a rate of 3 inches per minute. This is determined by finding the partial derivatives dA/dt, which involve the partial derivatives of A with respect to both h and b. This can be understood by considering a specific triangle with base b and height h, and observing that when a minute passes, the new triangle formed by a base of b+3 and a height of h-3 will have a different area, either larger or smaller depending on the values of b and h.
lude1

Homework Statement

If the base b of a triangle is increasing at a rate of 3 inches per minute while its height h is decreasing at a rate of 3 inches per minute, which of the following must be true about the area A of the triangle?

a. A is always increasing
b. A is always decreasing
c. A is decreasing only when b < h
d. A is decreasing only when b > h
e. A remains constant

Correct answer is d. A is decreasing only when b > h

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the answer is d. If the area of a triangle is (1/2)(base)(height) and the base increases by 3 while the height decreases by 3, wouldn't they just cancel out each other?

Moreover, I don't understand why the area would only be decreasing when the base is bigger than the height and not vice versa. But I guess I won't understand this part until I understand why the area can't be constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
lude1 said:

Homework Statement

If the base b of a triangle is increasing at a rate of 3 inches per minute while its height h is decreasing at a rate of 3 inches per minute, which of the following must be true about the area A of the triangle?

a. A is always increasing
b. A is always decreasing
c. A is decreasing only when b < h
d. A is decreasing only when b > h
e. A remains constant

Correct answer is d. A is decreasing only when b > h

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the answer is d. If the area of a triangle is (1/2)(base)(height) and the base increases by 3 while the height decreases by 3, wouldn't they just cancel out each other?

Moreover, I don't understand why the area would only be decreasing when the base is bigger than the height and not vice versa. But I guess I won't understand this part until I understand why the area can't be constant.

You need to find the dA/dt. Since A is a function of both h and b, and both can be assumed to be functions of t, dA/dt will involve the partial derivatives with respect to h and the partial derivative with respect to b.

To see why the area wouldn't be constant, take a triangle with height a and base b. Then its area would be ab/2, right? Now suppose that a minute passes. So now it has base b+3 and height a-3.

Find the area of the new triangle and figure out when it's larger or smaller than the other one.

Related to Which of the following must be true about the area A of the triangle?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the base, and h is the height of the triangle.

2. Can the area of a triangle be negative?

No, the area of a triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value.

3. Does the type of triangle affect the formula for finding its area?

Yes, the type of triangle does affect the formula for finding its area. For example, the formula for finding the area of a right triangle is A = (1/2)ab, where a and b are the lengths of the two sides that form the right angle.

4. Is the area of a triangle affected by the order in which the base and height are multiplied?

No, the area of a triangle is not affected by the order in which the base and height are multiplied. As long as the correct values are used in the formula, the result will be the same.

5. Can the area of a triangle be larger than the perimeter?

Yes, it is possible for the area of a triangle to be larger than its perimeter. This can happen with triangles that have very long and narrow sides.