Which of the following are equal to this identity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Umar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary: Choice D is correct. Use $\cos(2x)=\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)$ to see why.In summary, Choice D is correct. Use $\cos(2x)=\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)$ to see why.
Umar
Hello, sorry for the constant questions. But here is a question asking which of these are equal to the identity cot(x)/sin(2x).

I managed to find out that this is equal to the third option of the three, however, apparently this option on its own is not the right answer. I can't seem to get the other two options to be equivalent.

Can someone please help and see if there are other equivalencies?

View attachment 5965

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    7 KB · Views: 76
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Choice D is correct. Use $\cos(2x)=\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)$ to see why.

Umar said:
Hello, sorry for the constant questions. But here is a question asking which of these are equal to the identity cot(x)/sin(2x).

I managed to find out that this is equal to the third option of the three, however, apparently this option on its own is not the right answer. I can't seem to get the other two options to be equivalent.

Can someone please help and see if there are other equivalencies?

Hey Umar! ;)

Let's reduce all of them to contain only $\sin x$ and $\cos x$ and simplify them:
$$\frac{\cot x}{\sin(2x)} = \frac{\cos x}{\sin x\cdot 2\sin x\cos x} = \frac{1}{2\sin^2 x} \\
(i)\quad\frac{1}{1-\cos(2x)} = \frac{1}{1-(1-2\sin^2 x)} = \frac{1}{2\sin^2 x} \\
(ii)\quad\frac 12(1+\tan^2 x) = \frac 12\left(1+\frac{\sin^2 x}{\cos^2 x}\right) = \frac 12\cdot \frac{\cos^2 x+\sin^2 x}{\cos^2 x} = \frac{1}{2\cos^2 x} \\
(iii)\quad\frac{1}{2(1-\cos^2 x)} = \frac 1{2\sin^2 x}
$$
How about the equivalencies now?

I think what I would do here is treat them all, in turn, as prospective identities to be verified.

i) \(\displaystyle \frac{\cot(x)}{\sin(2x)}=\frac{1}{1-\cos(2x)}\)

\(\displaystyle \cot(x)(1-\cos(2x))=\sin(2x)\)

\(\displaystyle 1-(1-2\sin^2(x))=2\sin^2(x)\)

\(\displaystyle 2\sin^2(x)=2\sin^2(x)\)

This is an identity.

ii) \(\displaystyle \frac{\cot(x)}{\sin(2x)}=\frac{1}{2}(1+\tan^2(x))\)

\(\displaystyle 2\cot(x)=\sin(2x)\sec^2(x)\)

\(\displaystyle 2\cot(x)=2\cot(x)\)

This is an identity.

iii) \(\displaystyle \frac{\cot(x)}{\sin(2x)}=\frac{1}{2(1-\cos^2(x))}\)

\(\displaystyle 2\cot(x)\sin^2(x)=\sin(2x)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(2x)=\sin(2x)\)

This is an identity.

So, we find all three are identities. :D

I like Serena said:
Hey Umar! ;)

Let's reduce all of them to contain only $\sin x$ and $\cos x$ and simplify them:
$$\frac{\cot x}{\sin(2x)} = \frac{\cos x}{\sin x\cdot 2\sin x\cos x} = \frac{1}{2\sin^2 x} \\
(i)\quad\frac{1}{1-\cos(2x)} = \frac{1}{1-(1-2\sin^2 x)} = \frac{1}{2\sin^2 x} \\
(ii)\quad\frac 12(1+\tan^2 x) = \frac 12\left(1+\frac{\sin^2 x}{\cos^2 x}\right) = \frac 12\cdot \frac{\cos^2 x+\sin^2 x}{\cos^2 x} = \frac{1}{2\cos^2 x} \\
(iii)\quad\frac{1}{2(1-\cos^2 x)} = \frac 1{2\sin^2 x}
$$
How about the equivalencies now?

Thank you so much, I never really thought about doing it that way, but I kept getting close to that. I see, so only the first and third one are equivalent.

Related to Which of the following are equal to this identity?

What does an identity mean in mathematics?

An identity in mathematics is an equation that is true for all values of the variables in it. In other words, it is an equation that is always true, regardless of the values of the variables.

What is the purpose of finding equal identities?

The purpose of finding equal identities is to simplify expressions and equations, making them easier to solve. It also helps in understanding the relationships between different mathematical concepts.

How can I determine if two identities are equal?

To determine if two identities are equal, you can start by simplifying both sides of the equation using algebraic manipulations. If you end up with the same expression on both sides, then the identities are equal.

Are there any rules or properties for finding equal identities?

Yes, there are several rules and properties that can be used to find equal identities. Some of the most commonly used ones include the commutative property, associative property, distributive property, and the use of inverse operations.

Can identities be equal for all values of the variables?

Yes, identities are always true for all values of the variables. This is what sets them apart from equations, which may only be true for certain values of the variables.