Which Nova Happened First in Relation to an Aircraft's Speed?

In summary, two novas flared up simultaneously on Earth, one in the constellation Draco and the other in the constellation Tucana, both at a distance of 1.0x10^3 lightyears. However, according to astronomers aboard an aircraft traveling at 750km/hr along the line from Draco to Tucana, the novas were not simultaneous. Using the given equations, the time difference between the two novas was calculated to be 12.16 hours, which is double the correct answer. The source of the discrepancy may be an error in the given equations or in the given values.
EngageEngage

Homework Statement

Astronomers on the Earth (regarded as an inertial reference frame) see two novas flare up simultaneously. One of the novas is at a distance of 1.0x10^3 lightyears in the constelation Draco; the other nova is at an equal distance in the constellation Tucana in a direction (as seen from Earth) exactly opposite to that of the first nova. According to astronomers aboard an aircraft traveling at 750km/hr along the line from draco to tucana, the novas are not simulatneous. According to these astronomers, which nova happened first/ by how many hours?

Homework Equations

t' = [tex]\frac{t - \frac{Vx}{c^2}}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{V^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, i then have two equations:

t'[tex]_{1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{t_{1} - \frac{Vx_{1}}{c^2}}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{V^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

t'[tex]_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{t_{2} - \frac{Vx_{2}}{c^2}}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{V^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

i know that:
t1 = t2
since the novas flare up at the same time on Earth, and i also set
x1 = 0,
x2 = 2*10^3 lightyears = 2(9.46*10^18m)
V = 750*10^3m/hr

my final equatin looks like so:

[tex]\frac{t'_{2} - t'_{1} = \frac{Vx_{2}}{c^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{V^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]
(The above fraction looks wrong. the fraction should only be on the right side.)

So, plugging in all of my values i get a time of 12.16hrs, which is double the right answer. Can someone please tell me what I could have done wrong? any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer. So unless we both made the same mistake, the book is wrong.

Thank you Doc Al, i appreciate the response. I will ask my professor what he thinks of the problem

Related to Which Nova Happened First in Relation to an Aircraft's Speed?

What is the Lorentz transform problem?

The Lorentz transform problem is a mathematical concept that arises from Einstein's theory of special relativity. It involves transforming measurements of space and time between reference frames that are moving relative to each other at high speeds.

Why is the Lorentz transform problem important?

The Lorentz transform problem is important because it provides a way to reconcile the differences in measurements of space and time between different inertial reference frames. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

How do you solve the Lorentz transform problem?

The Lorentz transform problem can be solved using the Lorentz transformation equations, which involve variables such as velocity, time, and distance. These equations allow for the transformation of measurements between reference frames and can be applied in both one and three dimensions.

What are some common misconceptions about the Lorentz transform problem?

One common misconception about the Lorentz transform problem is that it only applies to objects traveling at the speed of light. In reality, the Lorentz transformation can be applied to any two inertial reference frames moving at different velocities. Another misconception is that the Lorentz transformation changes the actual measurements of space and time, when in fact it only changes how these measurements are perceived by observers in different reference frames.

What are some real-world examples of the Lorentz transform problem?

The Lorentz transform problem can be seen in many real-world scenarios, such as the time dilation effect observed in high-speed travel, the correction of GPS satellite signals to account for the differences in time between Earth and the satellites, and the calculation of particle energies in high-energy physics experiments. It is also used in the design of particle accelerators and in the study of cosmic rays.