Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Which math course should I take

find_the_fun

Feb 1, 2012
I'm working towards computer science degree and have a choice between Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics and intro to diferential equations. No offensense but I don't really like math and would like to take the course that is easier. If they are around the same dificulty which would be more likely used in a career?

Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics

Graph theory, counting, combinatorial arguments and proofs, inclusion-exclusion, partial orders and equivalence relations, deriving and solving recurrence relations, generating functions.

Intorduction to Differential Equations

First order equations, linear second order equations and 2-dimensional systems of linear equations with constant coefficients, elementary qualitative methods, numerical Euler and Runge-Kutta methods, Laplace transform, applications.

Last edited:

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I'm working towards computer science degree and have a choice between Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics and intro to diferential equations. No offensense but I don't really like math and would like to take the course that is easier. If they are around the same dificulty which would be more likely used in a career?

Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics

Graph theory, counting, combinatorial arguments and proofs, inclusion-exclusion, partial orders and equivalence relations, deriving and solving recurrence relations, generating functions.

Intorduction to Differential Equations

First order equations, linear second order equations and 2-dimensional systems of linear equations with constant coefficients, elementary qualitative methods, numerical Euler and Runge-Kutta methods, Laplace transform, applications.
I don't know about the difficulty level you would find for each of these, but relevance to your career would make Discrete & Combinatorial a no-brainer.

CB

Last edited: