Which materials would survive at near absolute zero, intact?

In summary, if objects were transported to the moon, they would most likely survive, but may be weakened by temperature changes.
CCWilson
What would happen to things on Earth if transported to the moon? For instance, say that a house, with furniture and fixtures in place, were dropped gently onto the moon's surface? How about food - meat, vegetables, fruit? Would things crack? Or would they survive the experience so that if rewarmed to Earth temperatures they could be used again?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I want to point out that the moon is not anywhere near absolute zero temperature. It's ~100 degrees C (or higher) during the day, and ~-150 degrees C at night, which is still ~120K (warmer than liquid nitrogen's boiling point at atmospheric pressures).

I can't comment much on which type of objects survive best though. I think all the water in the food would freeze and perhaps destroy most of the cells, but I'm not sure if that's akin to freezing food in your freezer or not.

I'd imagine that the metalic objects would survive (see: Apollo missions), but I don't know how they treated the metals and stuff for the moon landing.

And "dropped gently on the moon's surface" is very non-specific. Were they dropped from 1 foot, 10 feet, a mile? Different objects will break at different levels of stress, so unless you give specific numbers no one can say much. And even then I don't know if there's a list somewhere that tells us how much stress an apple at 3 kelvin can take.

Drakkith said:
And "dropped gently on the moon's surface" is very non-specific. Were they dropped from 1 foot, 10 feet, a mile?
I think we can expect a negligible impact velocity here, as it is a question about temperature effects.

If you let the house stay a while on the moon, temperature changes (with a ~28-day-cycle) could weaken the materials. Food would probably lose a part of its water due to boiling, before it freezes (at night) or loses its water completely after a while (with sunshine).
The vacuum could have some side-effects, depending on the way you reduce air pressure around the house.

mfb said:
I think we can expect a negligible impact velocity here, as it is a question about temperature effects.

If you let the house stay a while on the moon, temperature changes (with a ~28-day-cycle) could weaken the materials. Food would probably lose a part of its water due to boiling, before it freezes (at night) or loses its water completely after a while (with sunshine).
The vacuum could have some side-effects, depending on the way you reduce air pressure around the house.

I interpreted this to be just about extremely low temperatures, not about temperature flux. Just goes to show you the need to be as specific as possible.

Related to Which materials would survive at near absolute zero, intact?

1. What is absolute zero and how does it affect materials?

Absolute zero is the coldest temperature possible, which is equivalent to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius. At this temperature, all molecular motion stops and materials become extremely brittle, making it difficult for them to maintain their structural integrity.

2. Can any materials survive at near absolute zero?

Yes, some materials have been found to maintain their integrity at near absolute zero temperatures, such as certain superconductors and specialized alloys. However, most materials will not survive intact at such extreme temperatures.

3. What properties make a material more likely to survive at near absolute zero?

Materials that have a low coefficient of thermal expansion, high tensile strength, and low ductility are more likely to survive at near absolute zero temperatures. These properties allow the material to resist the extreme cold and maintain its structural integrity.

4. How does the composition of a material affect its survival at near absolute zero?

The composition of a material plays a crucial role in determining its survival at near absolute zero. Materials with strong intermolecular bonds, such as metals and ceramics, are more likely to survive intact compared to materials with weak intermolecular bonds, such as polymers.

5. Are there any applications for materials surviving at near absolute zero?

Yes, materials that can withstand near absolute zero temperatures are crucial in the field of cryogenics, where extremely cold temperatures are required for research and industrial purposes. These materials also play a role in space exploration, as some parts of spacecraft and satellites are exposed to near absolute zero temperatures in outer space.