How are materials brought to (near) absolute zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods and techniques used in labs to cool materials to extremely low temperatures, including laser cooling, multi-stage adiabatic demagnetization refrigerators, and dilution refrigerators. These methods are used to study and detect dark matter, and have potential for future applications such as in space missions. The conversation also touches on the theoretical limit of reaching absolute zero temperature and the potential consequences.
moe darklight
Hey, an article on the new Discover Mag talks about underground labs trying to detect dark matter. It mentions that the sensors have to be brought down to almost near absolute zero... I then realized that, even though I keep reading about things being put in extremely low temperatures, I have no clue how they do this.

How do they get materials to such low temperatures in labs? ... Any cooling agent I can think of (liquid N, etc.) is nowhere near absolute zero. My best guess is they get Dick Chaney to blow on the material in question.

Physics news on Phys.org
wow, that's pretty clever.

There are several methods.

Liquid nitrogen gets you sort of cold.

Liquid helium gets you down to 4.2K.

You can use a dilution refrigerator to get to tens of milli-Kelvin. It works by immersing your sample in a mixture of liquid He3 and He4. You then pump really hard on the vacuum above the mixture of liquids. The helium4 will evaporate, and when the atoms leave, they take energy with them, thereby cooling the rest of the mixture down.

I believe this is the best you can do without going with the laser cooling method already described.

moe darklight said:
Hey, an article on the new Discover Mag talks about underground labs trying to detect dark matter. It mentions that the sensors have to be brought down to almost near absolute zero... I then realized that, even though I keep reading about things being put in extremely low temperatures, I have no clue how they do this.

How do they get materials to such low temperatures in labs? ... Any cooling agent I can think of (liquid N, etc.) is nowhere near absolute zero. My best guess is they get Dick Chaney to blow on the material in question.

NeoDevin said:

That technique, btw, isn't suitable to be used to cool "materials" if we are talking about macroscopic solid. Atomic gas and molecules, sure. But bulk solid, no.

The latest technique in cooling bulk solid was recently published. Read http://www.physlink.com/News/070407LaserCooling.cfm" for a review.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
mutistage adiabatic demagnetisation refridgerators are a method which can potentialy operate completely mechanically.

If you take a paramagnetic material and magnetise it (Apply a strong magnetic field to allign spin domains) then you reduce it's magnetic entropy. Of course a reduction in magnetic entropy is compensated by an increase in thermal entropy(energy) which you can remove by placing in contact with a heat bath of equal temperature (initial environment ~10-20K).

If you then isolate the material and lower the magnetic field then the spin domains start to loose their alignment and become disorderd, so the magnetic entropy increases. As the material is in isolation the energy required to fuel this motion can only come from the materials thermal energy (you can also consider the magnetic field as splitting and separating the energy levels which redistribute the spins to a distribution corresponding to a lower temperature)

The result therefore of demagnetising a magnetised paramagnetic material in isolation-adiabaticaly-is that the thermal energy lowers. current 2 stage ADR's can maintain a few mK environment for over 24 hours.

a Multistage stage ADR operating from ~20K which is the limit of current mechanical cryocoolers, would provide an entirely mechanical process from room temperature to near 0K.

This process is also proposed for use on the ESA's XEUS space mission in 2020 to cool cosmic X-ray detectors such that the resolution of single photons are possible, and is being developed by a British team at UCL. The adcantage is that it's small, does not require lots of liquid He which evaporates and is expensive, the disadvantage is that you need massive B-fields.

Last edited:
moe darklight said:
My best guess is they get Dick Chaney to blow on the material in question.

Or place it in thermal equilibrium with Maggie Thatcher's heart.

hahahaThanks guys, these methods are really interesting.

silverpig said:
There are several methods.

Liquid nitrogen gets you sort of cold.

Liquid helium gets you down to 4.2K.
Just for the sake of completeness, there's two important stages of cooling between the above stage (4.2K) and the dilution refrigerqator (~ few mK).

#1. He-4 cryostat - you can typically go down to nearly 1K by simply pumping on the vapor above liquid He4 (the equilibrium temperature of the liquid is a function of the vapor pressure). It's very hard to get below about 1K this way (at least using standard, commercial pumps).

#2. He-3 cryostat - additional cooling below 1K can be had by using He-3 as the refrigerant and pumping on its vapor. Because of the lower mass of the He-3 atoms, the equilibrium temperature for a given vapor pressure is lower than for He-4. So, by pumping on the He-3 vapor, you can get down to a little below 300mK.

The next stage of cooling, in conventional helium cryostats is the dilution fridge described below.

silverpig said:
You can use a dilution refrigerator to get to tens of milli-Kelvin. It works by immersing your sample in a mixture of liquid He3 and He4. You then pump really hard on the vacuum above the mixture of liquids. The helium4 will evaporate, and when the atoms leave, they take energy with them, thereby cooling the rest of the mixture down.
The important part of the cooling in the dilution fridge comes from the mixing chamber, where cooling is produced (not by evaporation, but) by the migration of He-3 across a phase boundary (between a He-3 rich phase and a He-4 rich phase).

if you reach 0 kevlin,what would happen?have they reached it?

spudguru said:
if you reach 0 kevlin,what would happen?have they reached it?

It is impossible to reach absolute zero by a finite number of steps. That is: an infinite number of adiabatic and isothermal steps are required to get to T=0.

as to what would happen if someone did reach T=0?
my guess is the universe would collapse into a nipple

Last edited:

Related to How are materials brought to (near) absolute zero?

1. What is absolute zero and why is it important in materials science?

Absolute zero is the theoretical temperature at which all motion of particles in a substance ceases. It is important in materials science because it allows researchers to study the fundamental properties of a material without the interference of thermal energy.

2. How is absolute zero achieved in a laboratory setting?

Absolute zero is achieved through a process called cryogenics, which involves using extremely low temperatures and specialized equipment to cool a substance. This can include methods such as evaporative cooling, adiabatic demagnetization, and laser cooling.

3. What are the challenges in reaching absolute zero?

One of the main challenges in reaching absolute zero is the loss of thermal energy to the environment. This can be minimized by using highly insulated materials and techniques, but it is difficult to completely eliminate all heat transfer. Additionally, some substances may undergo phase changes or other structural changes at extremely low temperatures, making it difficult to reach absolute zero.

4. Are there any practical applications for materials at near absolute zero temperatures?

Yes, there are various practical applications for materials at near absolute zero temperatures. These include superconductors, which have zero electrical resistance at extremely low temperatures and are used in technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. Other applications include cryogenic storage of biological samples and ultra-sensitive detectors for measuring small physical quantities.

5. Can materials be brought to absolute zero in outer space?

Yes, materials can be brought to absolute zero in outer space, where there is no external heat source. However, it would still be difficult to achieve absolute zero due to the challenges mentioned earlier. Additionally, the low pressure and lack of atmosphere in outer space can make it difficult to maintain the extremely low temperatures needed for cryogenics.