Which interactions proceed by which fundamental force?

In summary: Otherwise, you can use conservation laws and the known properties of particles to determine which force is involved. In summary, determining which force is involved in a particular decay can be done through Feynman diagrams or using conservation laws and known properties of particles.
cp255
User informed about mandatory use of homework template.
I have been getting ready for my Intro to Modern Physics final. The professor likes to ask a lot of questions like

Which of the following neutron reactions proceeds via the electromagnetic force?

Or something like this...
Screenshot from 2015-04-25 00:00:14.png

I have been looking all over the internet and my textbook. All I can find is kind of vague guidelines for this. How would I go about figuring it out?

I think the answers are Weak, EM, Strong, Weak (Just not completely sure why).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cp255 said:
I think the answers are Weak, EM, Strong, Weak (Just not completely sure why).
You say you are not sure why, but what do you think?

I think I might have figure it out.

a) The weak force is needed to produce nutrinos.
b) If there are photons this implies EM
c) Strong because of baryons.
d) Weak because of neutrinos.

cp255 said:
a) The weak force is needed to produce nutrinos.
Correct. Neutrinos only interact through the weak interactions.
cp255 said:
b) If there are photons this implies EM
What about ##\pi^+ \to \mu^+ + \nu_\mu + \gamma##? This has photons, but also neutrinos.
cp255 said:
c) Strong because of baryons.
What about ##K^+ \to \pi^+ + \pi^0## or ##\Lambda \to p + \pi^-##?
cp255 said:
d) Weak because of neutrinos.
Correct.

cp255 said:
I have been looking all over the internet and my textbook. All I can find is kind of vague guidelines for this. How would I go about figuring it out?
If you're familiar with Feynman diagrams, try drawing the ones that represent a particular decay.

Related to Which interactions proceed by which fundamental force?

1. What are the four fundamental forces?

The four fundamental forces are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Each force has a specific role in the interactions between particles.

2. How do particles interact through the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for holding together the nucleus of an atom. It is the strongest force and is mediated by particles called gluons.

3. What is the role of the weak nuclear force in interactions?

The weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a crucial role in the fusion reactions that power the sun. It is mediated by particles called W and Z bosons.

4. How does the electromagnetic force influence particle interactions?

The electromagnetic force is responsible for interactions between charged particles, such as electrons and protons. It is mediated by particles called photons and is important in chemical reactions and everyday phenomena like electricity and magnetism.

5. How does the force of gravity affect interactions between particles?

Gravity is the weakest of the four fundamental forces, but it plays a crucial role in the interactions between massive objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It is mediated by particles called gravitons.