Which Geometry Textbook is Best for Challenging Problems?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's proficiency in Plane Geometry and their struggle to find a good textbook for difficult problems. Sharygin was recommended as the top choice, followed by Prasolov, Euclid's Elements, Coxeter's Geometry Revisited, and I.M. Gelfand's Geometry.
RBTiger
Although I am good at Plane Geometry, it is a subject that I have largely ignored for the past 1.5 to 2 years(thanks to my exam syllabus that stresses on analytic geometry and completely ignores conventional plane geometry). Within this time period, my geometry skills have stagnated. Although I can solve the school level geometry problems with ease, I do face some trouble with Olympiad level problems. Can someone suggest a geometry textbook that offers a good course in difficult problems?
I know there's Sharygin, but it's quite difficult to find...How is Prasolov as an alternative? Or is there something better out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sharygin is an excellent choice for a geometry textbook that offers a good course in difficult problems. It is considered to be the gold standard of geometry textbooks and is highly recommended by experienced mathematicians. Prasolov is also a good alternative and offers a comprehensive introduction to geometry. Other good options include Euclid's Elements, Coxeter's Geometry Revisited, and I.M. Gelfand's Geometry.

Related to Which Geometry Textbook is Best for Challenging Problems?

1. What topics should be covered in a suitable geometry textbook?

A suitable geometry textbook should cover topics such as points, lines, angles, triangles, quadrilaterals, circles, polygons, area, volume, transformations, and coordinate geometry.

2. What level of difficulty should a suitable geometry textbook have?

A suitable geometry textbook should have a level of difficulty that is appropriate for the intended audience. It should challenge students without being too overwhelming or too easy.

3. What types of illustrations and diagrams should be included in a suitable geometry textbook?

A suitable geometry textbook should include a variety of illustrations and diagrams to help students visualize and understand geometric concepts. These could include 2D and 3D diagrams, real-world examples, and interactive visuals.

4. Is it important for a suitable geometry textbook to have practice problems and exercises?

Yes, practice problems and exercises are crucial in a suitable geometry textbook as they allow students to apply their knowledge and reinforce their understanding of the material. The textbook should also provide answers or solutions to these problems for students to check their work.

5. How often should a suitable geometry textbook be updated?

A suitable geometry textbook should be updated periodically to reflect changes in the curriculum, advancements in the field, and to incorporate new teaching methods and technologies. However, the core concepts and principles should remain consistent to maintain the textbook's relevance and usefulness.