Which derivatives should I review for my DiffEq course?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which aspects of derivatives to review for their upcoming Diff. Eq course. They mention having a strong understanding of polynomials and are recommended to review partial derivatives, exponentials, and trig functions. They also inquire about gradient vectors and change of coordinate systems, which are deemed helpful and closely related to partial derivatives.
matthew9
Background:
It has been about a year and a half since I took Calc 3 so I am not as familiar with using derivatives as I would like to be. Basically my math dept. had a concentration in math-stats that didn't even require differential equations at all, so I wasn't expecting to take the course. Now that I am moving into the computational math concentration I need to take the course. I have done Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, and two introductory proof classes one which got into some Advanced Calc stuff (metric spaces, equivalence relations, etc...)

Question:
As stated in the topic, which aspects of derivatives should I review for Diff. Eq?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you already have a solid grasp of polynomials, I would recommend reviewing partial derivatives, exponentials and trig functions.

RUber said:
Assuming you already have a solid grasp of polynomials, I would recommend reviewing partial derivatives, exponentials and trig functions.
Yes I do and that is one of the areas that came to mind. Thank you! Would you recommend going over gradient vectors or change of coordinate systems?

Those are always helpful; it seems like those concepts are closely related to partial derivatives and are a likely application.

RUber said:
Those are always helpful; it seems like those concepts are closely related to partial derivatives and are a likely application.
Yeah they are applications. I really appreciate your help so thank you again.

Related to Which derivatives should I review for my DiffEq course?

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In other words, it measures how much a function changes when its input variable changes.

2. Why do I need to review derivatives for my DiffEq course?

Understanding derivatives is essential for solving differential equations, as they represent the slope of the solution curve at any given point. Without a solid understanding of derivatives, it can be difficult to make sense of the solutions to differential equations.

3. Which derivatives are most important to review for my DiffEq course?

The most important derivatives to review for a DiffEq course are the basic ones, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and implicit differentiation. These are the building blocks for more complex derivatives that may be encountered in solving differential equations.

4. How can I review derivatives effectively for my DiffEq course?

One effective way to review derivatives is to practice solving problems. This will help you become more familiar with the various rules and techniques for finding derivatives. You can also watch online tutorials or attend review sessions to reinforce your understanding.

5. Can I use technology to review derivatives for my DiffEq course?

Yes, you can use technology such as graphing calculators or software like Wolfram Alpha to help you review derivatives. These tools can help you visualize and verify your answers, but it's important to also have a solid understanding of the concepts and rules behind derivatives.