Which course would be more useful for theoretical physics?

• Thread starter xGAME-OVERx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker seeking advice on which course to take in order to prepare for a future in theoretical physics. The first option, Differential Equations, covers topics such as Fourier series, PDEs, and ODEs, which are all important in various areas of physics. The second option, Dynamical Systems, also has some relevance to physics, but may not be as immediately useful. Based on the recommendations of others, the speaker decides to take the first course.
xGAME-OVERx
Hi All,

I have the opportunity to take two different courses this year (alas the limit on 120 credits per year means I can't take both), and I seek advice on which one would be more appropriate considering I wish to move into theoretical physics (like particle physics, field theory, general relativity) after my current natural sciences degree:

First Option:
"Differential Equations

Fourier series. Partial differential equations (PDEs): diffusion equation, wave equation, Laplace's equation. Solution by separation of variables in Cartesian and polar co-ordinates. Ordinary differential equations (ODEs): solution by reduction of order and variation of parameters. Series solution and the method of Forbenius. Legendre's and Bessel's equations: Legendre polynomials, Bessel functions and their recurrence relations."

Second Option:
"Dynamical Systems:

Qualitative behaviour of discrete and continuous systems. General first order systems in two variables. Classification of equilibrium points. Periodic orbits and limit cycles. Bifurcation theory. Saddle- node, transcritical, pitchfork and Hopf bifurcations. Stability of limit cycles. The Logistic map, period-doubling, transition to chaos. Henon map, Lorenz system, Rossler system."

To me, the first seems like it might be more useful, considering the introduction to DEs in the calculus module was very light, but the second seems like it might be more interesting and have more immediate physical applications (that's not to say the first won't be interesting!).

Also, I have covered everything up to separation of variables in cartesian coordinates in other parts of the degree, but I've covered nothing in the dynamical systems module.

Options please!
Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
xGAME-OVERx said:
Fourier series [quantum field theory]
Partial differential equations (PDEs): wave equation [qft], Laplace's equation [Maxwell electromagnetism].
Solution by separation of variables in Cartesian and polar co-ordinates [quantum mechanics / Schrodinger equation (!)].
Legendre's and Bessel's equations: Legendre polynomials, Bessel functions and their recurrence relations. [qm problems with spherical symmetry]

I'm not sure about the second one, I learned most of those in my (math department) DE course, but I never really used them in physics. The subjects that I quoted from your post, however, are extremely useful in theoretical physics. For each I listed at least one area of physics for which I have actually used this method during my Master's in theoretical physics.

Therefore, though I am not really familiar with either course, I am strongly inclined to recommend the former to you.

Definitely the first one. All the things you mentioned will come up over and over again in physics. Dynamical systems is a super interesting course (and I'd encourage you to audit it if your university allows it), but DEs will be much more useful.

Judging by what you wrote, it looks like the differential equations course something of a "first course" in differential equations; meaning that you have not had a previous course on differential equations. If this is true, then I would recommend taking this course first. The reason being that dynamical systems are 95-99% all differential equations. Meaning that you should already have experience with differential equations before tackling dynamical systems.

Thanks guys! I suspected as much but it's nice to get opinions from more experienced people.

@CompuChip: The list of applications is especially interesting. It would appear I've managed to do 20 credits of QM without adequate background!

@nicksauce: UK universities seem to be very inflexible about the number of credits a student can take. However, I can attend the lectures unofficially :)

@cmos Yes, as I said, we covered a small amount of DEs in first year calculus, but very little since. It's interesting you say that, because the Dynamical systems course has a very small amount of DE related pre-requisites. A quirk of the modular system I suppose...

Thanks Again!
Scott

xGAME-OVERx said:
@CompuChip: The list of applications is especially interesting. It would appear I've managed to do 20 credits of QM without adequate background!

Hehe, apparently.
I'm sure that if you open the index of any (good) QM book, you will definitely find "separation of variables", "wave equation" and "Legendre polynomial" there :)

Related to Which course would be more useful for theoretical physics?

What is the difference between "useful" and "more useful"?

The term "useful" generally refers to something that has the ability to be used for a specific purpose or to achieve a certain goal. "More useful" implies that there are multiple options or choices and one is deemed to be of greater usefulness compared to the others.

What factors should be considered when determining which option is more useful?

Some factors to consider when determining which option is more useful may include the specific purpose or goal, the intended audience or users, the resources available, and the potential impact or effectiveness of each option.

How can one objectively determine which option is more useful?

Objectively determining which option is more useful can be a challenging task. One approach is to conduct experiments or gather data and analyze the results. Another approach is to consult with experts or gather opinions from a diverse group of individuals.

Is it possible for both options to be equally useful?

Yes, it is possible for both options to be equally useful. This can happen if the options are designed to serve different purposes or if they have different strengths and weaknesses that balance out in terms of overall usefulness.

Can a previously determined "more useful" option become less useful over time?

Yes, a previously determined "more useful" option can become less useful over time. This can happen as technology or circumstances change, new information or data becomes available, or the needs of the users or audience shift.