Which course should i look for?

• Courses
  • Thread starter kirkulator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in studying complex systems and the use of mathematics to understand them. The individuals suggest books such as "CHAOS: an introduction to dynamical systems" and "Nonlinear dynamics and chaos" as well as a fluid dynamics course to learn more about complex systems. They also mention that the study of mathematics itself can be seen as a complex system with various layers and outcomes. A link to a Wikipedia page describing complex systems is also provided.
kirkulator
I am extremely interested in complex systems and i know that it is studied primarily using mathematics. I would really enjoy formally learning this material so that i can apply it. Are there any known courses that cover complex systems or touch on it at all? What courses should i be looking for to take that are similar?

Thanks so much guys!
Amanda

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure what you mean with "complex systems". Maybe you mean chaos theory?? A very good book on the subject is "CHAOS: an introduction to dynamical systems" by Alligood, Sauer and Yorke.

Another extremely well-written book is "Nonlinear dynamics and chaos" by Strogatz.

You could also want to study specific complex systems. For example, I think a fluid dynamics course should do that.

We might be able to help you better, if you would expand your question a bit...

"Contemporary researchers strive to understand complex physical phenomena that involve many constituents, may be influenced by numerous forces, and may exhibit unexpected or emergent behavior. Often such “complex systems“ are macroscopic manifestations of other systems that exhibit their own complex behavior and obey more elemental laws. This article proposes that areas of mathematics, even ones based on simple axiomatic foundations, have discernible layers, entirely unexpected “macroscopic” outcomes, and both mathematical and physical ramifications profoundly beyond their historical beginnings. In a larger sense, the study of mathematics itself, which is increasingly surpassing the capacity of researchers to verify “by hand,” may be the ultimate complex system."

also here's a link describing complex systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_system

Related to Which course should i look for?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a course?

When choosing a course, it is important to consider your personal interests, academic strengths, career goals, and the requirements of your desired profession. You should also consider the availability of the course, the reputation of the institution offering it, and the potential for future job opportunities.

2. Should I choose a course based on its popularity or job prospects?

It is important to strike a balance between a course that aligns with your interests and strengths, and one that offers good job prospects. While a popular course may have a higher demand in the job market, it may not be the best fit for you if you are not interested in the subject. On the other hand, a less popular course may have fewer job opportunities, but it may be more aligned with your passions and strengths.

3. Is it better to choose a specialized or general course?

It depends on your career goals and personal interests. If you have a specific career path in mind, a specialized course may provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in your chosen field. However, if you are uncertain about your career goals or have a wide range of interests, a general course may provide you with a broader set of skills that can be applied to various industries.

4. How can I determine if a course is suitable for me?

To determine if a course is suitable for you, you can research the course curriculum, read reviews from current or former students, attend open days or information sessions, and talk to academic advisors or professionals in the field. It is also helpful to consider your personal interests, strengths, and career goals when evaluating the suitability of a course.

5. Can I switch courses if I change my mind?

In most cases, it is possible to switch courses if you change your mind. However, this may depend on the specific institution and course requirements. It is important to research the policies and procedures for switching courses at your chosen institution before making a decision. It is also helpful to consult with academic advisors or career counselors for guidance and support.