Which came first; the Question or the Answer?

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between answers and questions. It is argued that answers have always existed and were discovered by mankind, while questions emerged later. However, it is also suggested that both answers and questions have always coexisted, with the answers waiting to be asked. The validity of an answer without a question is also questioned.
timejim
I say the answer came first. All things out there that are to be known (and discovered) by man have always been there. The questions came about after mankind first discovered that there are answers out there!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say they came at the exactly same time. Theoretically, the answer is already there and every question already exists waiting to be asked - in my opinion.

In so much thus far, the answer has been raised before the question, while the question has been raised before the answer. Has the answer which has existed before the question valid if there was no question?

.... sorry I am on a chomsky caffeeine rush :biggrin:

Related to Which came first; the Question or the Answer?

1. What is the origin of the phrase "Which came first; the Question or the Answer?"

The phrase is derived from the classic chicken and egg dilemma, where it is impossible to determine which came first.

2. Is there a definitive answer to this question?

No, there is no definitive answer as it is a philosophical question with no clear solution.

3. How have philosophers and scientists attempted to answer this question?

Some have argued that the question itself is flawed and that both the question and answer are dependent on each other. Others have proposed theories such as the Big Bang theory or evolution to explain the origin of the universe and life on Earth.

4. Can this question be applied to other areas of study?

Yes, the question can be applied to various fields such as linguistics, mathematics, and even psychology. It is often used as a thought experiment to explore the concept of cause and effect.

5. What is the significance of this question in the scientific community?

While there is no concrete answer, the question highlights the importance of critical thinking and questioning in the scientific process. It also emphasizes the interconnectedness of different concepts and the limitations of our understanding.