Which books are recommended for a beginner in paleoanthropology?

• Thread starter RunSwimSurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation was about a request for recommendations on good paleoanthropology books. The person asking had searched through books on Amazon and was considering "Extinct Humans" by Ian Tattersall, "The Last Human" by Sawyer, "Smithsonian Guide to Human Origins," and "The Dawn of Human Culture." They were looking for a good first-time book and did not have much prior knowledge on the subject. Another person suggested checking out the latest book reviewed by the PaleoAnthropology Society, "The Human Lineage" by Matt Cartmill, Fred H. Smith, and Kaye B. Brown, which can be found on Amazon.
RunSwimSurf
Gold Member
Can anyone recommend any good paleoanthropology books?
I've searched through the books on Amazon and I'm considering:
Extinct Humans - Ian Tattersall
The Last Human - Sawyer
Smithsonian Guide to Human Origins
The Dawn of Human Culture

I'm looking for a good first-time book. I don't know much about the field other than what I've learned in general humanities and anthropology classes.

Physics news on Phys.org
RunSwimSurf said:
Can anyone recommend any good paleoanthropology books?

The PaleoAnthropology Society can help you. (1) The latest book that they have reviewed, The Human Lineage (Foundation of Human Biology) by Matt Cartmill, Fred H. Smith, and Kaye B. Brown (Hardcover - Mar 30, 2009), can be found on Amazon.(2)

1. http://www.paleoanthro.org/journal/book_reviews.asp

2. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_...oboken,+NJ:+Wiley-Blackwell&tag=pfamazon01-20.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist in the field of paleoanthropology, I can recommend some great books that provide a comprehensive and engaging introduction to this fascinating subject.

Firstly, I would highly recommend "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin. While not strictly a paleoanthropology book, it is a foundational text in the study of human evolution and provides a solid understanding of the principles of evolution.

Another excellent book is "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari. This book covers the entire span of human evolution, from our early ancestors to modern humans, and provides a thought-provoking exploration of our species' unique characteristics and accomplishments.

For a more focused look at the field of paleoanthropology, I would recommend "The Fossil Trail: How We Know What We Think We Know About Human Evolution" by Ian Tattersall. This book delves into the history of paleoanthropology and the discoveries that have shaped our understanding of human evolution.

Lastly, I would also suggest "The Human Story: Our Evolution from Prehistoric Ancestors to Today" by Robin Dunbar. This book provides a well-rounded overview of human evolution, including the latest research and debates in the field.

Overall, I believe that these books would be a great starting point for anyone looking to learn more about paleoanthropology. Happy reading!

Related to Which books are recommended for a beginner in paleoanthropology?

1. What is the definition of paleoanthropology?

Paleoanthropology is the study of human evolution and the behavior of our ancient ancestors through the analysis of fossils and other physical remains.

2. What are some important books in the field of paleoanthropology?

Some notable books in the field of paleoanthropology include "Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind" by Donald Johanson, "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, and "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin.

3. What makes a good paleoanthropology book?

A good paleoanthropology book should have a strong foundation in scientific evidence and theories, be engaging and accessible to a general audience, and provide a comprehensive overview of the subject matter.

4. Are there any recent advancements or discoveries in paleoanthropology that are discussed in these books?

Yes, many paleoanthropology books include discussions of recent advancements and discoveries, such as the discovery of new hominin species and the use of new technologies in studying ancient fossils.

5. Can paleoanthropology books be useful for non-scientists?

Absolutely! While some books may be more technical in nature, many paleoanthropology books are written for a general audience and can be enjoyed by anyone interested in human evolution and our ancient ancestors.