Which applied physics concentration to pick?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's dilemma in choosing a concentration for their applied physics major. They also inquired about career paths for dual majoring in applied physics/applied math and the possibility of concentrating in biophysics or optical science and engineering. The speaker expressed their interest in participating in something like the Google X Lunar Prize in the future, but did not want to change their major or dual major in computer science or study astrophysics. Other participants in the conversation suggested that aerospace engineering or electrical engineering may be more useful for such a goal. However, the speaker did not want to change their major and considered getting a master's in engineering after studying applied physics and math.
sarick
sorry i already made a similar topic before but i didnt get any response so i decided to be more specific. i am an applied physics major freshman. i have to pick a concentration of studies but i don't know what to pick.

what are some possible career paths for dual majoring in applied physics/applied math?

concentration in biophysics?

optical science and engineering?

the reason i picked applied physics is because i love physics and couldn't decide which engineering i want to major in.

on random note,i want to participate in something like google x lunar prize in the future.but i don't want to change my major or dual major in computer science or study atrophysics..

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, most likely not astro physics for that, you would need something like an aerospace engineer, electrical engineer etc. I do not really see how astro would be useful at all for landing a vehicle on the moon...

Klockan3 said:
Well, most likely not astro physics for that, you would need something like an aerospace engineer, electrical engineer etc. I do not really see how astro would be useful at all for landing a vehicle on the moon...
well, i did say i don't want to study atro so..thats no problem. but i do not want to change my major so EE and AE is out of the question. unless i study applied physics and math then get masters in engineering...

Related to Which applied physics concentration to pick?

1. What is the difference between various applied physics concentrations?

Applied physics concentrations focus on the practical applications of physics principles in different fields. Some common concentrations include optics, materials science, electromagnetism, and biophysics. These concentrations differ in the specific topics they cover and the industries they are applied in. It is important to research each concentration to determine which aligns best with your interests and career goals.

2. Which concentration has the best job prospects?

This can vary depending on current market trends and your location. However, concentrations in renewable energy, nanotechnology, and medical physics are currently in high demand. It is also beneficial to choose a concentration in a growing industry, such as technology or healthcare, to increase job opportunities.

3. How do I decide which concentration is right for me?

Consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when choosing a concentration. Think about which topics in physics you enjoy the most and which industries you see yourself working in. It can also be helpful to talk to professionals or professors in different concentrations to gain insight into the day-to-day work and opportunities available in each field.

4. Can I switch concentrations after starting my studies?

It is possible to switch concentrations, but it may require additional coursework and time. It is important to research and make an informed decision about your concentration before starting your studies. However, if you realize that your chosen concentration is not the right fit for you, it is best to discuss your options with your academic advisor.

5. Are there any prerequisites for specific concentrations?

Some concentrations may have prerequisite courses or recommended coursework to better prepare you for the curriculum. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the department to see if there are any specific requirements for your chosen concentration. This will ensure that you are prepared for the coursework and will help you succeed in your studies.