Where to start in self studying physics?

In summary, when teaching yourself a subject as broad as physics, it is important to have a logical starting point and to have a strong understanding of prerequisite material. Standard textbooks often present material in a logical sequence, but assume prior knowledge. It is recommended to begin with mathematics and to consult resources such as the MIT OpenCourse for guidance on prerequisite knowledge. Seeking help from others can also be helpful when encountering roadblocks during self-learning.
iwilllearn
I am currently teaching physics to myself, however when I start to comprehend one thing, an unknown term or equation finds me and I get stolen from my current reasearch to begin to research that. So my question is, where should I start? Is there any logical starting point to begin to teach yourself a subject as broad as physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
What materials are you studying from? Standard textbooks usually at least attempt to present things in a logical sequence. However, they usually assume you already know certain prerequisite material. This is usually described in the introduction.

Can you give an example of the kinds of detours you’ve been making?

iwilllearn said:
I am currently teaching physics to myself, however when I start to comprehend one thing, an unknown term or equation finds me and I get stolen from my current reasearch to begin to research that. So my question is, where should I start? Is there any logical starting point to begin to teach yourself a subject as broad as physics?

You can't ask that question and expect a reasonable answer if you neglect to let us know what level of understanding or education you already posses. Otherwise, we will be assuming that you already know such-and-such, and will recommend things that might be well beyond what you can comprehend, which is exactly what seems to be happening now.

Zz.

The place to begin to study physics is in mathematics. Only then can you make any progress.

• Skeptical
Likes DrClaude
When you hit roadblocks you can always ask questions on here to get you back on track.

<3

Here is the MIT OpenCourse. https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

I self-learn physics following courses on it.

Especially, the syllabus in every courses include informations about prerequisite courses.

For example, in 8.01 Classical Mechanics, single variable calculus will be requisite.

Hope this would help you.

Related to Where to start in self studying physics?

1. How do I know what topics to start with in self studying physics?

It is important to have a basic understanding of the fundamentals of physics before diving into more complex topics. Some good topics to start with include Newtonian mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and calculus.

2. What resources are available for self studying physics?

There are many resources available for self studying physics, such as textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. You can also join online communities or forums to connect with other self learners and ask for help or clarification on difficult concepts.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self studying physics?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self studying physics depends on your individual learning pace and goals. It is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours a day consistently studying and practicing problems. However, you may need to adjust this based on your progress and understanding of the material.

4. How can I stay motivated while self studying physics?

Staying motivated while self studying physics can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. Set realistic goals for yourself and track your progress. Find a study partner or join a study group to stay accountable and motivated. Also, try to find real-world applications of the concepts you are learning to make the material more interesting and relevant.

5. What are some effective study strategies for self studying physics?

Some effective study strategies for self studying physics include creating a study schedule, breaking down complex topics into smaller, more manageable chunks, and actively engaging with the material through practice problems and conceptual questions. It is also helpful to regularly review and summarize the material to solidify your understanding.