Where to Start: Essential Resources for a Physics Novice

In summary, the speaker expresses interest in physics but did not receive a proper introduction until later in life. They struggle to understand the subject without a structured approach and seek recommendations for beginner resources. They are advised to take introductory courses at a community college to gain a basic understanding before advancing to more complex topics.
Fenrir
The field of physics has always interested and amazed me, but due to an unfortunate lapse in my education I was not properly introduced to physics until later in life. Being exposed sporadically, without any kind of initial structure, has been confusing to say the least. While I try to absorb as much as I can, most of the time I find myself missing the point.

Can someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction? Books, sites, articles any beginner should read in order to get a better understanding of the essentials? I feel like I'm trying to build a house without laying the foundation down first. It can be futile and frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
you didn't specify what level of physics knowledge you currently have.

i think the best way to get yourself familar with modern physics is to enroll introductory level courses at your local community college, then gradually head towards more advanced level once you gain the basic knowledge.

Hard to gauge, really. I'd say partially none. That's good advice, though, I might make some time to do so in the next few months.

Related to Where to Start: Essential Resources for a Physics Novice

What is the best way to approach learning physics?

The best way to approach learning physics is by starting with the basics and building a strong foundation. This includes understanding mathematical concepts, familiarizing yourself with scientific notation, and practicing problem solving.

Is it necessary to have a strong math background to understand physics?

While having a strong math background can certainly help in understanding physics, it is not absolutely necessary. Many concepts in physics can be understood with basic math skills, and as you progress, you can continue to build your math skills along with your understanding of physics.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is by practicing regularly. Work through practice problems and seek help when needed. Also, try breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts to make them less intimidating.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in learning physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid in learning physics include not focusing enough on the fundamentals, trying to memorize instead of understanding concepts, and not seeking help when needed. It's important to take your time and truly understand the concepts rather than rushing through them.

What resources are available for someone learning physics?

There are many resources available for someone learning physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It's also helpful to seek guidance from a physics teacher or tutor if you have access to one.