Where to Get Small Brushless DC Motors

In summary, I was wondering if any of you might know where I could buy small brushless DC motors online. I'm looking for something with the size and performance of what might be found in a computer case fan, but without having to actually cannibalize a computer fan.
Captain Barbosa
Hopefully this is the appropriate forum for this sort of question, but I was wondering if any of you might know where I could buy small brushless DC motors online.

I've been Googling around for a while, but most of the ones that I found are too large and expensive for what I need, as they're meant for RC airplanes and the like.

Basically what I want is something with the size and performance of what might be found in a computer case fan, but without having to actually cannibalize a computer fan. (Although this could work.)

I thought some of you people who are into robotics might know where to get them. Thanks in advance.

Just in case anyone is curious, I'm going to use 3 of them to make a spirograph-type laser light show with variable speed controls for each motor. :cool:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried;

www.robotstore.com[/URL]
[url]www.jameco.com[/url]
[url]www.allelectronics.com[/url]
[url]www.lynxmotion.com[/url]
[url]www.hobbyengineering.com[/url]
[url]www.radioshack.com[/url]

?

Last edited by a moderator:
I only found one motor on any of those sites that's brushless, and there aren't many specs that they show for it.

Maybe I should just cannibalize a few computer fans. It would certainly be easier than trying to hunt down the motor separately.

Some of those sites are pretty cool though, thanks for those!

Captain Barbosa said:
I only found one motor on any of those sites that's brushless, and there aren't many specs that they show for it.

Maybe I should just cannibalize a few computer fans. It would certainly be easier than trying to hunt down the motor separately.

Try http://www.graybar.com/" , they may have some.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted brushless motors. I saw DC in your post and for some reason I just assumed brushed. If that's the case the smallest your probably going to find are the the computer fan motors or you can cannibalize CD-ROM drive motors. CD-ROM motors are very easy to modify (used them for many projects) and can be easily tailored to many applications.

Captain Barbosa said:

Try this site, not only do they show how, there are some that will sell to you. There is a lot here so spend some time looking through the topics, and threads.

http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-motor-design-and-construction-361/

Ron

Wow, thanks for giving me the idea of cd-rom motors! A quick Google showed tons of sites with information on modifying and using them.

I'll be sure to check out that RC groups site.

For my purposes I can probably even just glue the mirrors directly on to the rotor can.

Last edited:

Related to Where to Get Small Brushless DC Motors

1. Where can I find small brushless DC motors?

Small brushless DC motors can be found at electronics stores, hobby shops, and online retailers. Some popular online retailers include Amazon, Digi-Key, and SparkFun.

2. What are the benefits of using a brushless DC motor?

Brushless DC motors offer a longer lifespan, higher efficiency, and better performance compared to traditional brushed DC motors. They also require less maintenance and produce less noise.

3. What are the different types of small brushless DC motors?

There are several types of small brushless DC motors, including outrunner, inrunner, and axial flux motors. Each type has its own unique design and features, so it's important to research and choose the best option for your specific needs.

4. How do I choose the right size of small brushless DC motor?

The size of the motor you need will depend on your specific application and the amount of power and torque required. It's important to consider factors such as voltage, current, and speed when choosing the right size of brushless DC motor.

5. Are small brushless DC motors more expensive than traditional brushed DC motors?

While the initial cost of small brushless DC motors may be higher, they offer a longer lifespan and higher efficiency, making them a more cost-effective option in the long run. Additionally, as technology advances, the cost of brushless DC motors is becoming more affordable.