Where to apply for PhD physics in Europe

In summary: You might want to check if there are any PhD positions in other countries as well, and try to find a way to get an internship in one of those countries to increase your chances.
shinobi20
I am planning to do a PhD degree in physics since I have recently completed my masters degree, my research field was mainly on cosmology but I am getting interested in some fundamental aspects of physics, like GR and QG. I have tried to apply to some universities in Germany and failed to be accepted, also there are very few open positions available so competition is also extremely high. I have still to wait for the results of my application in Sweden. I have recently also taken an IELTS exam and awaiting for the result, after I receive the result I will also apply to UK universities and hope that I might get a position regardless of prestige.

Due to limited positions available in Europe, I think I have to adjust my research interest a bit so that it will open more opportunities for my application. Can anyone guide or give me suggestions on where else in Europe I can apply for a position with my said interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get feedback why you didn't get accepted? You can also ask. Sometimes it is something you can easily change, or it might tell you where you have better chances.

How did you decide where you applied? Many PhD positions are never publicly announced - you only get them by asking the professors/groups.

mfb said:
Did you get feedback why you didn't get accepted? You can also ask. Sometimes it is something you can easily change, or it might tell you where you have better chances.

How did you decide where you applied? Many PhD positions are never publicly announced - you only get them by asking the professors/groups.
The feedback of the professors are almost always because there are very limited positions like only 2-3 available so the slot is very competitive and there are a lot more qualified applicants. I decided to search for positions in Germany and Sweden since they posted their job offering explicitly, I applied and awaited for the results, which was sad.

Maybe I can ask for suggestions and guide on where and how to apply for PhD positions in Europe, I cannot be very picky now since positions are really few.

shinobi20 said:
and there are a lot more qualified applicants
Maybe your CV could be improved. Or the interviews don't go well.

Where: Well, see what is advertised, and search for possible positions that are not advertised. If you like a group, just send a mail and ask if they have a PhD position. Ask your previous supervisor, colleagues and similar if they know open PhD positions (which typically also means they know someone in this group - that can help a lot).
Apart from that: Germany and Sweden are not the only countries doing research in the fields you are interested in.

Related to Where to apply for PhD physics in Europe

What are the requirements for applying to a PhD program in physics in Europe?

The specific requirements for a PhD program in physics in Europe can vary depending on the university and country. However, most programs will require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal.

How can I find a list of universities offering PhD programs in physics in Europe?

There are several resources available to help you find universities offering PhD programs in physics in Europe. You can start by searching online databases such as the European Union's Study in Europe website or programs offered through the European Research Council. You can also consult with professors or advisors in your field, attend graduate school fairs, or reach out to specific universities directly.

What is the application process like for a PhD program in physics in Europe?

The application process for a PhD program in physics in Europe typically involves submitting an online application, providing transcripts and other required documents, and completing any necessary entrance exams or interviews. The specific process may vary depending on the university and program, so it is important to carefully review the application instructions for each institution.

Are there any funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in physics in Europe?

Yes, there are funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in physics in Europe. Many universities offer scholarships, grants, or assistantships to cover tuition and living expenses. You can also look into external funding sources such as government scholarships or private foundations.

How long does it typically take to complete a PhD program in physics in Europe?

The length of a PhD program in physics in Europe can vary, but it typically takes around 3-4 years to complete. However, this can also depend on the specific research project and the student's progress. Some programs may also offer the option to extend the program if necessary.