Where should test-postings be made?

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct board on a forum for making test-posts, with suggestions for starting a new thread in Feedback and labeling it as a test post. There is also a suggestion to allow private conversations with oneself for testing purposes. The importance of testing posts before publishing them is emphasized, with a reminder to use the preview function and to test formulas in a thread that already has formulas present.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Where are test-posts supposed to be made? I looked in General board, looked in Feedback & Announcements board, tried a SEARCH, but found nothing. Tell me which is the correct board on this forums for test-posts, for which we do not necessarily want members or visitors to read,respond,discuss (unless the poster requests it)?

Physics news on Phys.org
PF modification suggestion: allowing conversations with yourself would accomplish most of this with minimal additional overhead

Likes anorlunda
symbolipoint said:
Where are test-posts supposed to be made?
You could always start a new thread in Feedback and label it with [Testing -- Ignore], and then delete it within a few minutes after you are done with the test. I think you are able to delete your first post to delete the thread, but do you see that option?

Testing this out shows it doesn't work. NVM... o0)

I tried and I cannot delete my testing thread. Please delete.

Yeah, I deleted it for you. Thanks for running the test!

Likes Frabjous
caz said:
PF modification suggestion: allowing conversations with yourself would accomplish most of this with minimal additional overhead
The intent is to test how some posting or composing feature works. Having a conversation with oneself is not what the topic was meant for.

A conversation has all of the composing features (I think).

caz said:
A conversation has all of the composing features (I think).
Are you saying I could start a private conversation (Private Message), but then just with myself? I would have to be able to post TO MYSELF.

symbolipoint said:
Are you saying I could start a private conversation (Private Message), but then just with myself? I would have to be able to post TO MYSELF.
I am suggesting that the admins should enable it. It is hidden from everyone and will not require moderation.

What would a test post or even a dialogue with your other personalities be, if only kept a secret? You can write whatever you want in a text editor on your own PC and simply copy it here, if you ever want to respond to a discussion with a text written before (not to mention that in an own document you can edit it 100 times without jamming the MathJax editor or even the server itself...).

dextercioby said:
What would a test post or even a dialogue with your other personalities be, if only kept a secret? You can write whatever you want in a text editor on your own PC and simply copy it here, if you ever want to respond to a discussion with a text written before (not to mention that in an own document you can edit it 100 times without jamming the MathJax editor or even the server itself...).
What is any of that? A test post is to try to practice how to do something in making posts, or to try something to find if it works the way you want.

Likes berkeman
Use the preview function. If the code uses LaTeX, do it in a thread that has other formulas already so the plugin gets loaded.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. Where is the best place to make test-postings?

The best place to make test-postings would depend on the specific purpose of the test. If the test is for a website or online platform, it would be best to make the test-postings on a development or testing server. If the test is for a physical product, it would be best to make the test-postings in a controlled environment that mimics real-world conditions.

2. Should test-postings be made in a public or private setting?

Again, this would depend on the purpose of the test. If the test is for a public product or service, it would be best to make the test-postings in a public setting to gather more accurate data. However, if the test is for a confidential or sensitive product, it would be best to make the test-postings in a private setting to protect the information.

3. How many test-postings should be made?

The number of test-postings needed would vary depending on the scope and objectives of the test. Generally, a larger sample size would provide more reliable results. However, it is also important to consider the resources and time available for the test. A balance between sample size and practicality should be achieved.

4. Is there a specific time or day when test-postings should be made?

The timing of the test-postings would depend on the target audience or market. It would be best to make the test-postings during the peak hours or days when the target audience is most active. This would ensure that the test results are more representative of the actual response from the target audience.

5. How should the results of the test-postings be analyzed?

The results of the test-postings should be analyzed using statistical methods to determine the significance and reliability of the data. It would also be helpful to compare the results with previous or similar tests to identify any trends or patterns. Additionally, qualitative data such as feedback or comments should also be considered in the analysis.