Where is the point of maximum compressive stress in bi-axial bending?

In summary, Bi-Axial Bending stress is a type of stress that occurs when a material or structure is subjected to bending forces in two different directions simultaneously. It is calculated by considering the bending moments and axial loads acting on a structure, as well as the properties of the material being used. The factors that can affect Bi-Axial Bending stress include the magnitude and direction of the bending moments and axial loads, the properties of the material, and the shape and geometry of the structure. This type of stress is an important consideration in the design of structures, as it can affect their strength and stability. Examples of structures where Bi-Axial Bending stress is a concern include bridges, buildings, and various types of machinery.
DrVirz
Hi all,

I've attempted this question however my solution seems too simple..? I have taken the point 'A' (bottom right corner of beam) as the point with max compressive stress, I am not sure if this is correct. I have just assumed this by observation.

Capture_zpsdvjidzsu.jpg

IMAG0087_zpsbhyci82o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks OK. You caught the typo in the units for the moments of inertia; very good.

Likes DrVirz
Well that's great news! For some reason I thought my solution seemed to simple!

Thanks for clearing that up!

Related to Where is the point of maximum compressive stress in bi-axial bending?

1. What is Bi-Axial Bending stress?

Bi-Axial Bending stress is a type of stress that occurs when a material or structure is subjected to bending forces in two different directions simultaneously. This can result in a combination of tensile and compressive stresses on the material, which can affect its strength and stability.

2. How is Bi-Axial Bending stress calculated?

The calculation of Bi-Axial Bending stress involves considering the bending moments and axial loads acting on a structure, as well as the properties of the material being used. The formula for calculating Bi-Axial Bending stress is σ = My/I + Nz/A, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, I is the moment of inertia, N is the axial load, and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

3. What are the factors that affect Bi-Axial Bending stress?

The factors that can affect Bi-Axial Bending stress include the magnitude and direction of the bending moments and axial loads, the properties of the material being used, and the shape and geometry of the structure. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and external forces can also have an impact on Bi-Axial Bending stress.

4. How does Bi-Axial Bending stress affect the design of structures?

Bi-Axial Bending stress is an important consideration in the design of structures, as it can affect the strength and stability of the materials being used. Engineers and designers must carefully calculate and analyze Bi-Axial Bending stress to ensure that a structure can withstand expected loads and remain safe and functional.

5. What are some examples of structures where Bi-Axial Bending stress is a concern?

Bi-Axial Bending stress can be a concern in a wide range of structures, including bridges, buildings, and various types of machinery. It is also an important consideration in the design of components such as beams, columns, and shafts in various engineering applications.