Where is the forum software help?

• Thread starter AlephZero
  • Start date
In summary, there is a lack of clarity and intuitive design in the forum software, making it difficult for users to find important information such as the FAQ and features like adding friends. The role of "friends" and "contacts" is also not clearly defined. While there is a workaround for finding the FAQ through a user's signature, it would be beneficial to have a more visible and accessible link to it. Additionally, there are suggestions to improve the forum's usability, such as renaming the "New Topic" button to "New Thread Topic" and making lisab a default friend for all users.
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I can't find a link to help about the forum software. Specifically, a definition of what "friends" and "contacts" are.

I expect the answer may make me look dumb (or blind!) but even if it's right in front of my nose, I can't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe contacts are simply people you've 'taken note of' so to speak and stored their details for reference - only you see them, sort of like an address book.

Friends are people who you've added (as a friend) and they have accepted the request (and vice versa).

I'm in the same boat as AlephZero. How do I access Help? If I add someone as a 'friend' (assuming I knew how to do that), what difference does it make to anything? Would that 'friend' be willing to lend me a hundred dollars? (We could make that a precondition of listing as a 'friend' - although I suspect that wouldn't leave us with many). Why does it take me so long to locate my own posts? Why can I never quite remember how to post a new thread? Is it Alzheimer's, or could it be (gasp!) that the site could be made a tad more intuitive?

Alan1000 said:
I'm in the same boat as AlephZero. How do I access Help?

There's an FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php
If I add someone as a 'friend' (assuming I knew how to do that), what difference does it make to anything?

No difference - I suppose it just shows you like someone and they also like you.
Would that 'friend' be willing to lend me a hundred dollars?

No. Well I wouldn't.
Why does it take me so long to locate my own posts?

Hit "My PF" in the top left, from there you can either show all your subscriptions (the link is right there in front of you "view all subscriptions" or you can click "Your Profile" on the left and then "Statistics" and it says "Find all posts".

Alternatively you could just click "Search" up the top and do an advanced search for your username.
Why can I never quite remember how to post a new thread?

Uh, go to the required forum location and then hit "New Topic" in the top left - not really much more you can do to make it easy.
Is it Alzheimer's, or could it be (gasp!) that the site could be made a tad more intuitive?

I don't think there's any problems with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
jarednjames said:
Uh, go to the required forum location and then hit "New Topic" in the top left - not really much more you can do to make it easy.

Except maybe rename the button to "New Thread." :rolleyes: The forum software calls them "threads" everywhere else. I don't know why it uses "topic" in that one place.

jtbell said:
Except maybe rename the button to "New Thread." :rolleyes: The forum software calls them "threads" everywhere else. I don't know why it uses "topic" in that one place.
Except a new person may not know what a thread is, but they would know what a new topic is. We could name it "new thread topic". :-p

Evo said:
Except a new person may not know what a thread is, but they would know what a new topic is. We could name it "new thread topic". :-p

What amazes me is peoples ability to realize "New Post" let's them hijack a thread but "New Topic" - in exactly the same place when in the forum view - doesn't let them make their own thread.

Is it really that counter-intuitive that "New Topic" whilst in General Physics won't let you create a thread? Especially when there isn't any other button looking like it does the job.

EDIT: I suppose they could use quick reply.

jarednjames said:

Thanks, that link answered my follow-up question.

But it doesn't answer the question in my OP, which is "where is the link to this FAQ that I should have been able to find on my own".

Hmmm... I thought there was a link labeled "FAQ" in the bar at the top of every page, but it's not there. Did there use to be one and it disappeared somehow, or am I thinking of some other forum?

jtbell said:
Hmmm... I thought there was a link labeled "FAQ" in the bar at the top of every page, but it's not there
That would be a logical place to put it, but it's not there for me either.

The only place I know to find the FAQ is in lisab's signature.

Evo said:

Which is exactly where my link came from...

jarednjames said:
If she ever changes her signature, we're in trouble.

Evo said:

jarednjames said:

So where did she get it? :confused:

jtbell said:
So where did she get it? :confused:

Someone asked a question here in the Feedback forum about a year ago and the FAQ link was provided in the answer. I had never seen it before, after all these years! So I copied it and put it in a safe place o:).

It is not even in Quick Links, nor in the page footer. We should call Greg. Regulars know that to find FAQ they need to find lisab's post, but that's not necessarily the most intuitive place for newcomers.

Kurdt knows, (or did know), but he's at work.

LisaB is the sacred keeper of the FAQ.

Math Is Hard said:

Now we just need to highlight that to the newcomers...

We could put a link on the homepage to her.

Evo said:

She could be everyone's first, default friend - like Tom on MySpace. :biggrin: :-p

Math Is Hard said:
She could be everyone's first, default friend - like Tom on MySpace. :biggrin: :-p
Sounds perfect!

:smile:

AlephZero said:
I can't find a link to help about the forum software. Specifically, a definition of what "friends" and "contacts" are.

I expect the answer may make me look dumb (or blind!) but even if it's right in front of my nose, I can't see it.
I think being somebody's PF friend is more of a social, supportive thing. As far as I can tell:
  • PF friends don't have any special access to your profile or information, other than what you let all members see.
  • You can add any member you want to as a contact. A member must agree to be a friend.
  • You can choose to send a PM to just your contacts or friends (but I don't know of anybody who does this.)

Math Is Hard said:
Evo said:
Or we could put up a link that says "ask Lisab to be your friend" :bugeye:

Evo said:
Same here. Try doing a PF search for it (I've never been able to find it with a search). I've wasted a lot of time here looking for it. Thanks for being on my friends list lisab (aka the time saver).

jarednjames said:

No difference - I suppose it just shows you like someone and they also like you.

No. Well I wouldn't.

Hit "My PF" in the top left, from there you can either show all your subscriptions (the link is right there in front of you "view all subscriptions" or you can click "Your Profile" on the left and then "Statistics" and it says "Find all posts".

Alternatively you could just click "Search" up the top and do an advanced search for your username.

I don't think there's any problems with it.

Hi jarednjames,

Thanks for that. I don't seem to have all the buttons you mention. Could this be something to do with Firefox/NoScript security settings, I wonder? I'll explore that possibility. Alternatively I might try (gasp) Internet Explorer...

Alan1000 said:
Hi jarednjames,

Thanks for that. I don't seem to have all the buttons you mention. Could this be something to do with Firefox/NoScript security settings, I wonder? I'll explore that possibility. Alternatively I might try (gasp) Internet Explorer...

I use Firefox without any problems.

Related to Where is the forum software help?

1. What is forum software help?

Forum software help refers to assistance or support for using a forum software program. This can include instructions for setting up a forum, managing user accounts, and troubleshooting technical issues.

2. Where can I find forum software help?

Forum software help can typically be found on the software's official website or user forums. Many forum software programs also have a dedicated support team that can be contacted for assistance.

3. How do I access forum software help?

The exact method for accessing forum software help may vary depending on the program, but in most cases, there will be a help section or support tab on the software's website or within the program itself.

4. What types of issues can forum software help with?

Forum software help can assist with a variety of issues, including technical problems, user account management, and general questions about using the software. Some programs may also offer customization support for more advanced users.

5. Is forum software help available for free?

Many forum software programs offer basic help and support for free, but more comprehensive assistance may require a paid subscription or membership. It is recommended to check the software's website or user forums for more information on their support options and fees.