Where is the electric field greatest in magnitude?

In summary, the attempted solution is that the point of greatest magnitude is at D, where the electric field is concentrated.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

In the file

Homework Equations

No equations needed

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered it C. Since I learned that at the tip there are most of the charges. Therefore, it’s the point of the greatest E field magnitude. But another tutor told me that it is a circle, and because at D its like pulled inside, that’s the point of greatest magnitude. Which of these are correct?

Attachments

• 22F1E420-449D-4407-AFB6-2759475613F0.jpeg
    22F1E420-449D-4407-AFB6-2759475613F0.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 667
Physics news on Phys.org
YMMMA said:

Homework Statement

In the file

Homework Equations

No equations needed

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered it C. Since I learned that at the tip there are most of the charges. Therefore, it’s the point of the greatest E field magnitude. But another tutor told me that it is a circle, and because at D its like pulled inside, that’s the point of greatest magnitude. Which of these are correct?
I believe C is correct, but you should be referring to the equation that would lead you to that conclusion. Can you post the relevant equation? :smile:

berkeman said:
I believe C is correct, but you should be referring to the equation that would lead you to that conclusion. Can you post the relevant equation? :smile:
I don’t know which equation you mean. But I guess you mean this

Attachments

• 797EA2A4-806B-4C27-827B-D07841631A3C.png
    797EA2A4-806B-4C27-827B-D07841631A3C.png
    900 bytes · Views: 367
YMMMA said:
I don’t know which equation you mean. But I guess you mean this
No, it's a vector equation involving the charge density and a property of the electric field...

Do some searching, and if you still have trouble finding it, you can click on the Spoiler below...

Look for the Differential form of Gauss' Law...

berkeman said:
No, it's a vector equation involving the charge density and a property of the electric field...

Do some searching, and if you still have trouble finding it, you can click on the Spoiler below...

Look for the Differential form of Gauss' Law...
I looked for this rule, but I don’t understand why would I use a rule to answer the question? Is it because it is more dense at the tip, so greater electric field?

Likes berkeman

Related to Where is the electric field greatest in magnitude?

Question 1: What factors affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is affected by the distance from the source of the electric field, the strength of the source, and the medium through which the electric field travels.

Question 2: Is the magnitude of the electric field the same at all points in space?

No, the magnitude of the electric field can vary at different points in space depending on the factors that affect it, such as the distance from the source and the medium through which it travels.

Question 3: How does the magnitude of the electric field change with distance from the source?

The magnitude of the electric field decreases with distance from the source, following an inverse-square relationship. This means that as distance from the source doubles, the magnitude of the electric field decreases by a factor of four.

Question 4: Can the magnitude of the electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the electric force on a positive charge.

Question 5: How can the electric field be calculated at a specific point?

The electric field at a specific point can be calculated by dividing the electric force on a test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This can also be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the source's charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.