Where is the center of mass of the slab

In summary, the task is to find the center of mass of a composite slab made of aluminum and iron with given dimensions and densities. Using the equations for density and center of mass, the individual masses of each section were calculated. The center of mass for each section was then assumed to be at the midpoint. However, this assumption was incorrect as the origin for each section is different. After adjusting for this, the correct center of mass was calculated to be around 5.15 cm from the interface, depending on whether the origin is at the interface or the midpoint.
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

The figure shows the dimensions of a composite slab; a fraction of the slab is made of aluminum (density = 2.70 g/cm3) and other part is made of iron (density = 7.85 g/cm3). They are not equal as indicated in the figure, but have x1 = 7.5 cm and x2 = 14.5 cm. As measured from the interface b etween the two metals, where is the center of mass of the slab ( cm)? (Take + toward aluminum with the origin as the midpoint.)

9-25.jpg

Homework Equations

density = m/v
xcom = (m1x1 + m2x2)/M

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the volumes and then the mass of each section. I got the mass of the Iron slab to be 2143g and the mass of the Aluminum slab to 1425.6g. I assumed that the center of mass for each slab would be the middle if it was not connected to the other slab. So I got the center of mass for the Iron slab to be (3.75,6.5) and the Aluminum slab to be (7.25,6.5). Then I used xcom = (m1x1 + m2x2)/M and got around 5.15 cm. That doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That isn't right. Relative to the boundary, x1 is negative.

Call the left-hand side the origin, and the centers will be 3.75 (iron) and 14.75(aluminium). Calculate the center from there. I wasn't quite sure whether you meant for the interface (at 7.5) to be the origin or the midpoint (at 11), so once you have the left-origin center, subtract either 7.5 or 11 from that depending on which you want.

Related to Where is the center of mass of the slab

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. It can also be thought of as the balancing point of an object.

2. How is the center of mass of a slab calculated?

The center of mass of a slab can be calculated by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of all the points that make up the slab. This can be done using the formula:
x_cm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)
where x_cm is the x coordinate of the center of mass, m is the mass of each point, and x is the x coordinate of each point.

3. Is the center of mass always located inside the object?

No, the center of mass can be located both inside and outside of an object. For example, in a hollow sphere, the center of mass is located at the exact center of the sphere, while in a dumbbell shape, the center of mass is located outside of the object.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the center of mass?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the location of the center of mass. Objects with more mass concentrated towards one side will have a center of mass closer to that side. Additionally, objects with irregular shapes may have multiple centers of mass.

5. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it helps determine how an object will behave under certain conditions. It can also be used to analyze the motion and stability of objects, as well as calculate forces acting on an object.