Where is it appropriate to place absolute value bars while solving this diffeq

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a simple problem involving the equations dy/dx = y/x and dy/y = dx/x, and explores the use of absolute value bars and exponents in the solution process. It is determined that the absolute value bars can be removed by investigating four cases and simplifying the equations.
vande060

Homework Statement

just a simple problem as an example

dy/dx = y/x

dy/y = dx/x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/y = dx/x

ln|y| = ln|x| + c

then when I take exponents do I still have to include the absolute value bar

|y| = |x|c

Physics news on Phys.org
vande060 said:

Homework Statement

just a simple problem as an example

dy/dx = y/x

dy/y = dx/x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/y = dx/x

ln|y| = ln|x| + c
When you exponentiate each side, you get
[tex]e^{ln|x|} = e^{ln|y| + c} = e^{ln|y|}\cdot e^c = Ae^{ln|y|}[/tex]

where A = ec

You can remove the absolute value signs by investigating four cases:
1) x > 0 and y > 0
2) x > 0 and y < 0
3) x < 0 and y > 0
4) x < 0 and y < 0

If x > 0, |x| = x
If x < 0, |x| = -x

The four cases above will probably reduce to two equations. A is always positive, so you don't have to worry about it.
vande060 said:
then when I take exponents do I still have to include the absolute value bar

|y| = |x|c

Related to Where is it appropriate to place absolute value bars while solving this diffeq

1. Where do I place the absolute value bars when solving a differential equation?

The absolute value bars should be placed around the entire expression inside the differential equation. This ensures that both positive and negative solutions are considered.

2. Can I place the absolute value bars around individual terms in the equation?

It is not recommended to place the absolute value bars around individual terms in the equation. This can lead to incorrect solutions and should be avoided.

3. Do I need to place the absolute value bars when solving initial value problems?

Yes, the absolute value bars should still be placed around the entire expression even when solving initial value problems. This ensures that all possible solutions are considered.

4. Is it ever appropriate to not use absolute value bars when solving differential equations?

In general, it is not appropriate to omit the absolute value bars when solving differential equations. However, there may be special cases where this is acceptable depending on the context of the problem.

5. Can I use absolute value bars in any order when solving differential equations?

No, the order in which the absolute value bars are placed is important. They should always be placed around the entire expression and not around individual terms.