Where is Bush's plan for peace in Iraq?

• News
  • Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan
In summary: Bush's strategy is to focus on the short run.- Kerry wants to focus on long term goals.+ Bush's strategy is more effective.In summary, Kerry's website is more effective in addressing the long term while Bush's website focuses on the short term.
Tsu
Gold Member
So I got to thinking... maybe I could pull up John Kerry's plan for winning the peace in Iraq
http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/national_security/iraq.html

and do the same with Bush - but it was the WEIRDEST thing. I went to Bush's web page and used their search function (because I couldn't find a thing on the main page about Iraq ) and tried to search ANYTHING with 'peace for Iraq' but couldn't find a thing! WOW! Nothing?? I finally googled enough and came up with this

http://www.georgewbush.com/News/Read.aspx?ID=2678
but after reading through a bunch of rhetoric and getting to the part where he starts whining again ("Our work in Iraq has been hard."), I gave up trying to find a plan for peace in that mess.

I find it disturbing that I cannot find anything about a plan for peace in Iraq by my president - you know... the guy that started the war over there. All I got from google was a list of pages that looked pretty negative for Bush.

Can anyone direct me to a page of what I'm looking for? Something similar to what the Kerry website offers? Did I just miss it somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tsunami said:
So I got to thinking... maybe I could pull up John Kerry's plan for winning the peace in Iraq
http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/national_security/iraq.html

and do the same with Bush but it was the WEIRDEST thing. I went to Bush's web page and used their search function (because I couldn't find a thing on the main page about Iraq ) and tried to search ANYTHING with 'peace for Iraq' but couldn't find a thing! WOW! Nothing?? I finally googled enough and came up with this

http://www.georgewbush.com/News/Read.aspx?ID=2678
but after reading through a bunch of rhetoric and getting to the part where he starts whining again ("Our work in Iraq has been hard."), I gave up trying to find a plan for peace in that mess.

I find it disturbing that I cannot find anything about a plan for peace in Iraq by my president - you know... the guy that started the war over there. All I got from google was a list of pages that looked pretty negative for Bush.

Can anyone direct me to a page of what I'm looking for? Something similar to what the Kerry website offers? Did I just miss it somewhere?
The explanation I've heard Bush give is get Iraqi elections going, have Iraq take over their own affairs and thus, attain peace.

That's the thing that amazes me about Bush. He has the idea implanted into him that all Iraq needs is Democracy. Once you have democracy, the country will be peaceful. To encourage democracy, host some elections. How hard can it be? Maybe I should run for president... :smile:

Waste: Oh. Right. So, how's that plan working so far?

edit:
to add Waste's name above and to add:
Ya know, I've been pretty impressed with Kerry's website. I've been able to find exactly what I was looking for each time I wanted a specific. I've not been able to find a dang thing on Bush's site - EVER. It's really annoying, you know? I'm just sayin'... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Tsu:
You're probably using "reality-based" search terms. I think the Bush sites are set up differently.

plover said:
Tsu:
You're probably using "reality-based" search terms. I think the Bush sites are set up differently.

Ah. Yes. :wink: Thank you. :biggrin:

The problem with Kerry's website is that its largely rhetoric.

Kerry has a habit of saying what he's going to do but never addressing how.

I haven't taken the time to look at Bush's website, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it disorganized.

The reason you won't find Bush's plan for Iraq is that it is in place. As there are aspects of what is going on there that are military in nature, they aren't going to publish them. As Kerry has said, it'll be "more of the same."

The question you have to ask yourself is is that a good thing or a bad thing. Look at these opposing viewpoints regarding specific aspects of the Iraq situation:

1. Increased Insurgency -
- More killing of American troops and Bush is failing.
+ The US is clearly seen as a threat and Bush is succeeding.
- The US is drawing the attention of Terrorists.
+ Iraq has become an area of opposing terrorist groups who are fighting each other. Those from outside Iraq threaten the people's way of life and encourage support of the US.

2. Death Toll -
- How many American lives will we loose?
+ How many lives can be saved in the long run?
- This is aweful, more in Sept than Aug, more in Aug than July.
+ We had a highly successful beginning, that kind of momentum could not be maintained forever.

This is the overall problem with this election. Too much spin.

I personally don't see Kerry's plan for Iraq now being any better than Bush's. As a result, for me, its a non-issue in this election.

From the L.A.Times, registration is needed to view, sorry.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-moore20oct20,1,502730.story

Is Iraq Better Off? Ask the Iraqis

John Kerry is playing the prophet of doom in the most important foreign policy initiative of our generation. In Pennsylvania, Kerry described Iraq as "the wrong war, wrong place, wrong time." In New York, he opined that murderous cleric Muqtada Sadr "holds more sway in suburbs of Baghdad than Prime Minister [Iyad] Allawi." In Columbus, Ohio, the senator claimed to have a more accurate perspective on the situation in Iraq than did the interim prime minister, whose favorability rating of 73% among Iraqis, it's worth noting, is higher than Kerry's 48% favorability rating among Americans in the latest polls. Kerry, of course, has never set foot in Iraq.

I was there from July 2003 to April 2004, conducting about 70 focus groups and a dozen public opinion polls and advising L. Paul Bremer III, then the civilian administrator, on Iraqi public opinion. Whatever you might hear from Kerry, Michael Moore, the mainstream media and anyone else to whom defeating President Bush is more important than the fate of the Iraqi people, those who know best what's going on in Iraq — the Iraqis themselves — are optimistic about the future.

Iraqis consistently say in nationwide polls that the situation in their country is improving. In polls over the course of the summer, for example, more than half of Iraqis said their country was on the right track. The vast majority of Iraqis — 72% — see the same benefits in democracy as Americans do: the hope for peace, stability and a better life. Most polls show that 75% of Iraqis want to vote for their leaders rather than have clerics appoint them.

Related to Where is Bush's plan for peace in Iraq?

1. What is Bush's plan for peace in Iraq?

Bush's plan for peace in Iraq was known as the "surge" strategy. It involved increasing the number of troops in Iraq, implementing new counterinsurgency tactics, and working towards political reconciliation among different factions within the country.

2. Has Bush's plan for peace in Iraq been successful?

The success of Bush's plan for peace in Iraq is a highly debated topic. While some argue that it helped reduce violence and stabilize the country, others argue that it did not address the root causes of the conflict and ultimately did not lead to long-term peace.

3. When was Bush's plan for peace in Iraq implemented?

The "surge" strategy was implemented in 2007, during the presidency of George W. Bush. It lasted until 2008, when the number of troops was gradually reduced.

4. Did Bush's plan for peace in Iraq involve any diplomatic efforts?

Yes, in addition to the military component, Bush's plan for peace in Iraq also involved diplomatic efforts. This included working with regional leaders and the United Nations to support political reconciliation and stability in Iraq.

5. What is the current state of peace in Iraq?

The current state of peace in Iraq is still fragile. While violence has decreased since the surge, the country continues to face challenges such as political instability, sectarian tensions, and the presence of extremist groups. The long-term success of peace in Iraq will depend on continued efforts towards reconciliation and stability.