Where in a wineglass does the standing wave forms?

In summary, when a wine glass is exposed to a high amplitude of its resonant frequency, it will vibrate back and forth with the frequency of the sound wave. Adding water to the glass may change the frequency of some modes, but may also strengthen or weaken others, resulting in a change in pitch. Running your finger around the glass will produce frequencies that represent the dominant resonances.
06mangro
Hi I am doing coursework relating to resonance in a wine glass,
and i am so confused as to where the standing waves are formed,
clearly in videos i have watched the wineglass, when exposed to a high amplitude of its resonant frequency (in slow motion) clearly shows the wine glass vibrating back and forth with the frequency of the sound wave, this is when next to a speaker.

Does the Same apply for when i rub my finger round the rim what about then??

Also what about when i fill the glass up with water, the frequency clearly goes down, is this related to the amount of material there is for the wave to travel in (less material for the wave to travel around when there is more water in it)?

How does the wave change as i fill the glass up?

Thanks xxxx

Physics news on Phys.org
A wine glass may have many modes of vibration. If you add water, it may shift the frequency of some modes, but it may also weaken some and strengthen others, so the change in pitch might be due to selecting different modes.
I would think that the frequencies produced by running your finger around the glass fairly represent the dominant resonances.

Related to Where in a wineglass does the standing wave forms?

1. What is a standing wave in a wineglass?

A standing wave in a wineglass is a pattern of vibrations that occurs when the glass is struck or rubbed in a specific manner. The sound waves produced by the impact or friction travel through the glass, reflecting off the walls and creating a specific pattern of nodes and antinodes.

2. Where do standing waves form in a wineglass?

Standing waves form in a wineglass at specific locations known as nodes and antinodes. Nodes are points where the glass does not vibrate, while antinodes are points of maximum vibration. In a wineglass, standing waves typically form at the rim and the base of the glass.

3. How do standing waves form in a wineglass?

Standing waves form in a wineglass when the glass is excited by an external force, such as a tap or a finger rubbing against the rim. This creates sound waves that travel through the glass and reflect off the walls, causing the standing wave pattern to form.

4. Why do standing waves form in a wineglass?

Standing waves form in a wineglass due to the physical properties of the glass and the nature of sound waves. When the glass is struck or rubbed, the vibrations travel through the glass and reflect off the walls, causing the standing wave pattern to form. This is due to the fact that the glass has a resonant frequency at which it vibrates most easily.

5. Can standing waves be seen in a wineglass?

Yes, standing waves can be seen in a wineglass. The nodes and antinodes appear as dark and light areas respectively, and the overall standing wave pattern can often be seen as a slight distortion or ripple in the glass. However, the visibility of the standing waves may vary depending on the material and thickness of the glass, as well as the lighting conditions.