Minimum frequency for a point to have maximum amplitude in standing wave

In summary: The correct formula for frequency is v = √(T/μ), and the length divided by the mass should be used instead of the length divided by the mass per unit length. The answer of 30Hz does not fit this formula. In order to find a solution, it is necessary to include the relevant equations and a sketch for better understanding.
Eitan Levy
Homework Statement
We are given a rope with a mass of 20g and length of 1.5m.
The tension of the rope is 5N, and we are holding it in the edges.
Find the minimal frequency so that a point with a distance of 0.3m from one edge will have maximum amplitude.
Relevant Equations
f=vn/2L
When I tried using the equations the only thing I could see is that it is impossible for such point to be an anti-node. In this case, how do I find the frequency? The answer is not even with the form of v*n/2L which is very confusing to me, I thought that the frequency of a standing wave must have that form?

The answer is 30Hz.

Can someone please explain how to get this? How does that even make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You don't explain what v is
You miss a relevant equation that features the tension
Idem the mass (or the mass per unit length)
And perhaps a sketch is also extremely useful

Fix all that and then you can perhaps discover a path to the solution ...

We have the tension and the density of the mass. Sqrt(5*75) is supposed to be equal to v. 2L is 3.
The answer doesn't fit the formula of the frequency.

Is that 75 inches or 75 furlongs ?
Ah, m/kg ! so$$v=\sqrt {T\over \mu}\approx 19.4 \text{ m/s}$$
is the relevant equation I missed in your post.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Is that 75 inches or 75 furlongs ?
75 is the length divided by the mass.

Eitan Levy said:
impossible for such point to be an anti-node
I start to see your problem. You get resonances at multiples of 6.5 Hz and never an antinode at L/5, because they occur at L/2n

1580397270419.png

Conclusion: error in the problem statement

Related to Minimum frequency for a point to have maximum amplitude in standing wave

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that forms when two identical waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other.

2. How is the minimum frequency for maximum amplitude determined in a standing wave?

The minimum frequency for maximum amplitude in a standing wave is determined by the length of the medium in which the wave is traveling. It is equal to half of the wavelength of the wave in the medium.

3. Why does a standing wave have maximum amplitude at certain points?

A standing wave has maximum amplitude at certain points because at these points, the two waves traveling in opposite directions are in phase and constructively interfere with each other. This results in a larger amplitude at these points.

4. What happens to the amplitude of a standing wave if the frequency is increased?

If the frequency of a standing wave is increased, the amplitude of the wave will also increase. This is because the wavelength decreases, causing the standing wave to form more peaks and troughs, resulting in a larger amplitude.

5. Is there a maximum frequency for maximum amplitude in a standing wave?

Yes, there is a maximum frequency for maximum amplitude in a standing wave. This frequency is equal to the resonant frequency of the medium and depends on the properties of the medium, such as its length and the speed of the wave in the medium.