Where have I gone wrong in this integral by parts

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating ln(2x+1)dx and compares the answer given by the book to the one found by the individual. The individual's answer is correct but does not include the integration constant, which would account for the difference of 1/2 between their answer and the one in the book.
vande060

Homework Statement

∫ ln(2x+1)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫ ln(2x+1)dx

1/2∫2ln(2x+1)dx

t = 2x+1
dt = 2dx

1/2∫ln(t)dt

u = ln(t)
du = 1/t dt
dv = dt
v = t

tln(t) - ∫ t*1/t dt
tln(t) - ∫ dt
tln(t) - t

1/2*[(2x+1)ln(2x+1) - (2x +1)]

instead of this answer my book gives

1/2*(2x+1)ln(2x+1) - x

where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try it without the initial substitution and you get the answer in the book.

I couldn't find anything wrong in your steps. I suppose if you expand your answer, you get you get the books answer + 1/2. I'm not sure, but i guess that can just be absorbed into the constant c. The easiest way to realize this is to just take the derivative.

You didn't go wrong, except that you forgot the integration constant at the end. If you had put it, you would have seen why the answer you found and the one in the book difer by 1/2.

Related to Where have I gone wrong in this integral by parts

1. What is the integral by parts method?

The integral by parts method is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals that cannot be solved by other methods such as substitution or basic integration rules.

2. How does the integral by parts method work?

The integral by parts method involves breaking down a complex integral into two simpler integrals, one of which is solved by differentiating a part of the integrand and the other by integrating another part.

3. Why might I have gone wrong in using the integral by parts method?

There are a few common mistakes that can occur when using the integral by parts method, such as choosing the wrong parts to differentiate and integrate, or making errors in the algebraic manipulation of the resulting integrals.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when using the integral by parts method?

To minimize errors when using the integral by parts method, it is important to carefully choose the parts to differentiate and integrate, double check all algebraic manipulations, and practice solving various types of integrals to gain familiarity with the method.

5. What should I do if I still can't solve the integral after using the integral by parts method?

If you are unable to solve the integral after using the integral by parts method, you may need to try a different method or consult a calculus textbook or online resources for further guidance.