Where does the centripetal force come from in a falling lift?

• Thread starter Clara Chung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, in the scenario of a pendulum swinging inside a lift, if the lift cable breaks when the bob is at the lowest point, the bob will continue to undergo circular motion due to inertia and the string pulling it back, but at a lower speed. This is because at the moment the cable breaks, gravity is no longer acting on the bob, but the centrifugal force still pulls on the string to maintain the circular motion.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

A pendulum is swinging inside a lift. What happens to the bob if the lift cable breaks when the bob is at the lowest point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I consider the bob relative to the lift, the bob is apparently weightless. There should be no net force acting on the bob as observed by the person in the lift. However, the answer state that there will be a uniform circular motion relative to the falling lift. Where does the centripetal force come from??

Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:
Where does the centripetal force come from??
Ask yourself what the motion of the bob was at the instant the lift's cable broke. If the pendulum string was not there, what would be the motion of the bob?

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
Where does the centripetal force come from??

Where did it come from before the lift cable broke?

Very skill full answers from gn and CW designed to get clara to think ...now a day has passed I'll spell it out , and make sure I understand it myself...

At the moment the cable broke 'gravity' experienced becomes zero ... the bob has a horizontal velocity vector , but the string is still pulling the bob...

In the absence of 'gravity' the bob will swing around the anchor point , forever in a circle, with the same speed.

If the cable had snapped when the bob was at it's highest point in the swing , no bob velocity, no tension in the string the bob would just float motionless inside the falling lift...

But what if the cable snapped when the bob was halfway between these two extremes . Any ideas Clara? ...Anyone?

Last edited:
oz93666 said:
Very skill full answers from gn and CW designed to get clara to think ...now a day has passed I'll spell it out , and make sure I understand it myself...

At the moment the cable broke 'gravity' experienced becomes zero ... the bob has a horizontal velocity vector , but the string is still pulling the bob...

In the absence of 'gravity' the bob will swing around the anchor point , forever in a circle, with the same speed.

If the cable had snapped when the bob was at it's highest point in the swing , no bob velocity, no tension in the string the bob would just float motionless inside the falling lift...

But what if the cable snapped when the bob was halfway between these two extremes . Any ideas Clara? ...Anyone?

I think it will still undergo circular motion, just like the ball did at its lowest point, but with a lower speed.

In the previous example, when the moment where the bob is snapped at its lowest point, I don't think there is tension pulling it. The bob moves forward because of inertia which causes the string to pull it back into circular motion afterwards. Am I right or not?

Clara Chung said:
I think it will still undergo circular motion, just like the ball did at its lowest point, but with a lower speed.

I think that's right ... at all other places where the the bob is , when the lift cable breaks , it will have some velocity , so will rotate about the anchor point, but more slowly ...

Clara Chung said:
In the previous example, when the moment where the bob is snapped at its lowest point, I don't think there is tension pulling it.

For any pendulum , or bob , the tension in the string must be maximum when the bob is lowest , and moving fastest ... The string feels the full weight of the bob and the centrifugal force at a maximum... at the the instant the lift cable breaks there is no weight of the bob , but still the centrifugal force pulling on the string ..

Clara Chung said:
The bob moves forward because of inertia which causes the string to pull it back into circular motion afterwards. Am I right or not?

Yes that's right ...the bob tries to move forward horizontally but is pulled into a circular movement by the string .

Likes Clara Chung

Related to Where does the centripetal force come from in a falling lift?

1. What is free falling?

Free falling is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity only. This means that there are no other forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or friction.

2. What causes an object to free fall?

An object will free fall when the only force acting on it is gravity. This can occur when an object is dropped or thrown from a height, and there is no other force to counteract the force of gravity.

3. What is the acceleration of free falling?

The acceleration of free falling is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²), which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. This means that an object in free fall will increase its velocity by 9.8 m/s every second.

4. Does an object's mass affect its free falling speed?

No, an object's mass does not affect its free falling speed. According to the theory of gravity, all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

5. How does air resistance affect free falling?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the speed of a falling object. This is because the air molecules exert a force on the object, pushing against its downward motion. As the object falls faster, the air resistance increases, until it reaches a point where it is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant speed known as terminal velocity.