Simple Pendulum in Free Fall: Surprising Motion and Video Evidence

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a simple pendulum attached to a lift in free fall. The question is whether the pendulum will remain stationary or move in full circles at a constant angular speed. The solution is determined by analyzing the forces acting on the pendulum in both scenarios. It is suggested to look for a video of a pendulum in space for further evidence.
philk

Homework Statement

This is a 'random discussion' that I had today with a student; it is not out of a textbook, nor does the solution carry any weight at all (pls excuse pun).[/B]

A simple pendulum is happily swinging back and forth attached to a pin in the wall of the lift, where the pin is more than the length of the pendulum, below the lift roof.
Suddenly the lift cable snaps and the lift goes into free fall (ignore air resistance). 2 questions:
(i) what is the subsequent motion of the pendulum as viewed by a person in the lift
(ii) are there any videos that verify the (surprising) answer to (i) ?
I believe that the pendulum, depending on the state when the cable snaps, either remains absolutely stationary or goes in full circles at a constant angular speed .. becoming a perfect analogue clock.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that under free fall the bob becomes (effectively) weightless. This would seem to suggest the solution above but does that really happen? It seems surprising.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well how about doing a free body diagram first. What forces are acting on the bob when it is suspended, and what forces act on the bob when it is in free fall. I tried to reply to your other thread, but I am assuming it just got moved to here. Draw a free-body diagram and tell us what you think.

Perhaps NASA may have a video of what happens to a pendulum in space, this might be the same situation.

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Well how about doing a free body diagram first. What forces are acting on the bob when it is suspended, and what forces act on the bob when it is in free fall. I tried to reply to your other thread, but I am assuming it just got moved to here. Draw a free-body diagram and tell us what you think.
Thanks
Yes this is how I arrived at my conclusion. I am using a 'weightless paradigm' inside the free falling lift.
If the bob is at a point of maximum displacement then T = W cos α, since v=0 so centripetal acceleration is 0. In free fall I am assuming it is correct to take the view that W=0, giving T=0 so the bob stays exactly where it started, i.e. inside the lift it just "hangs" motionless but at an angle to the vertical.
If the bob is moving when the cable snaps, then T - Wcosα = mv^2/r, and -Wsinα = mr(theta double dot) so if W=0, theta double dot = 0 so transverse speed is constant; presumably T also changes (instantaneously) so that it provides exactly the force needed to maintain centripetal acceleration.
If we shift away from the 'weightless paradigm', and view the bob from an inertial frame outside the lift, it seems to me that the analysis is hard as the pendulum is no longer moving in a circle. I don't wish to go there!

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Perhaps NASA may have a video of what happens to a pendulum in space, this might be the same situation.
yes that would be pretty much the same except that the pendulum would have to be started by hand (or it just sits there motionless). However my question refers to a pendulum in motion and the subsequent motion; this could not be simulated in an orbiting station because simple pendula don't exist there.

Seems to me that outside the frame the pendulum would make almost like a over lapping circle type of motion, perhaps it could be described within a four dimensional scenario, but you are correct, it will either stay perfectly still, or spin in full circles. Although a video of this happening in space wouldn't show exactly what you want, it would show the centripetal motion that occurs when it is attached to a string and pushed in weightlessness.

Thanks for confirming that Raul.
I am now minded to do an analysis from an inertial frame to see if the path of the bob confirms this. If I succeed I will post the details here!

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
Yeah, message me if you do, I would be rather interested to see it!

Related to Simple Pendulum in Free Fall: Surprising Motion and Video Evidence

1. How does the period of a simple pendulum change in a lift?

The period of a simple pendulum in a lift will change depending on the acceleration of the lift. If the lift is accelerating upwards, the period will increase, and if the lift is accelerating downwards, the period will decrease. This is because the acceleration of the lift affects the tension in the string and therefore the restoring force on the pendulum.

2. Does the length of the pendulum affect its motion in a lift?

Yes, the length of the pendulum does affect its motion in a lift. A longer pendulum will have a longer period and will swing slower, while a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period and will swing faster. This is because the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to its length.

3. How does the amplitude of a simple pendulum change in a lift?

The amplitude of a simple pendulum will remain constant in a lift as long as the lift is not accelerating horizontally. The amplitude only changes when the restoring force is affected, which is not the case in a vertical lift. However, if the lift is accelerating horizontally, the amplitude will decrease due to the added force from the lift's acceleration.

4. What happens to the frequency of a simple pendulum in a lift?

The frequency of a simple pendulum will change in a lift due to the change in its period. If the period increases, the frequency will decrease, and if the period decreases, the frequency will increase. This is because frequency is inversely proportional to the period.

5. Can a simple pendulum reach equilibrium in a lift?

Yes, a simple pendulum can reach equilibrium in a lift. The equilibrium position of a pendulum is determined by the forces acting on it, including gravity and the tension in the string. As long as these forces are balanced, the pendulum will be at rest in its equilibrium position, whether it is in a lift or not.