Where does one shop for SEM components?

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate assisting in the repair of a JEOL Scanning Electron Microscope. Some components may need to be replaced and the engineer mentions the possibility of finding similar machines for sale. The project is mainly the student's responsibility and they are unsure of where to find used Electron Microscope components. They mention the possibility of finding them on a specialized marketplace similar to Craigslist. The student has already found some second hand parts on eBay and is open to any information or suggestions.
Daniel Sellers
I am working (as an undergraduate) assisting in the repair of a JEOL Scanning Electron Microscope.

Without going into too much detail, some components of the SEM control system may be damaged and need complete replacement. I am working with an instrument engineer who has mentioned that he has seen similar machines for sale, possibly even being sold for scrap.

This is mainly my project and I want to do as much of the leg work as possible, but I am unsure where to begin shopping for used Electron Microscope components. Is there something like a craigslist for expensive and specialized scientific instruments?

It's possible we'll get it working without replacing any parts, or abandon the repair altogether, but I am still curious about this question.

Any info is appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I just did a search on eBay and sorted the results by lowest price first and found some second hand parts.

Related to Where does one shop for SEM components?

1. Where can I find SEM components?

There are several places where you can shop for SEM components. One option is to purchase them directly from the manufacturer's website. Another option is to purchase from a third-party distributor such as Digi-Key or Mouser. Additionally, you may be able to find SEM components at specialty electronics stores or through online marketplaces like eBay or Amazon.

2. Are there any specific stores or brands that are recommended for purchasing SEM components?

There are a variety of reputable stores and brands that sell SEM components. Some popular options include Agilent Technologies, Hitachi, and Thermo Fisher Scientific. It is always a good idea to do some research on the specific component you need and read reviews before making a purchase.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing where to shop for SEM components?

When deciding where to shop for SEM components, you should consider factors such as price, availability, and quality. It is important to compare prices from different sources and ensure that the component you need is in stock. You should also research the reputation and customer reviews of the store or brand before making a purchase.

4. Can I purchase SEM components online?

Yes, you can purchase SEM components online. Many manufacturers and distributors have online stores where you can browse and purchase components. However, it is important to carefully research the seller and make sure they are reputable before making a purchase.

5. Are there any online forums or communities where I can get recommendations for SEM component shopping?

Yes, there are multiple online forums and communities where you can get recommendations for SEM component shopping. Some popular options include Reddit's r/scientificinstruments and LinkedIn's SEM Users Group. These communities are a great resource for connecting with other scientists and getting advice on where to shop for SEM components.