Where did I go wrong in deriving quantized energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of ω = E/hbar and the confusion surrounding it. The conversation also touches on the relationship between E = mc^2 and E = mv^2/2. The main mistake made is assuming that ω = kv, when in fact this is only true for photons. The conversation also mentions the need for context and typesetting of equations for better understanding.
SpaceNerdz
TL;DR Summary
I've been trying to derive ω = E/hbar, but to no success. I thought it was fairly straight forward derivation, could some one point out my mistake ?
OK, so I just want to show ω = E/h = kv, but I keep running into errors, I don't know why.

So, let's start with momentum:
p^2 / 2m = E
p^2 = 2mE
p = sqrt(2mE)
h/λ = sqrt(2mE)
hk = sqrt(2mE)
k = sqrt(2mE)/h

So far so good. Now let's start with conserved Energy
E= ½ mv^2
2E/m = v^2
v = sqrt(2E/m)

So, the angular velocity is :
ω = kv
ω = sqrt(2mE)/h *. sqrt(2E/m)
ω = 2E/ h
E = ½ hω

This is weird. Where did the ½ come from ?

I thought its E = hω.

Can someone tell me where I went wrong ? I'm pretty sure the algebra is correct, but am I introducing some concept where I shouldn't ? Please let me know !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Is this for billiard balls or for marbles ?

Can you typeset your equations ? It is difficult to deciper your ##\hbar## invention.

Any context ?

(guidelines point 7)

Check out E and p http://depts.washington.edu/jrphys/ph248S16/PhotoEffEqu-16.pdf

Last edited:
SpaceNerdz said:
Summary:: I've been trying to derive ω = E/hbar, but to no success. I thought it was fairly straight forward derivation, could some one point out my mistake ?

So, the angular velocity is :
ω = kv
That was the mistake. What made you think that ##\omega=kv##? It's true for photons (with ##v=c##), but in general it's not true.

Your confusion is also closely related to another frequent confusion about the formulas ##E=mc^2## and ##E=mv^2/2##. Can you explain why only one of them has the factor ##1/2##?

Last edited:

Related to Where did I go wrong in deriving quantized energy?

1. What is quantized energy?

Quantized energy refers to the concept that energy can only exist in specific, discrete amounts. This is in contrast to the classical view of energy as a continuous and infinitely divisible quantity.

2. How is quantized energy derived?

Quantized energy is derived through the application of quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It involves mathematical equations and principles such as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and Schrödinger's wave equation.

3. What are some real-world examples of quantized energy?

Some examples of quantized energy include the energy levels of electrons in an atom, the energy of photons (particles of light), and the vibrational energy of molecules. These all have specific, discrete values and cannot exist in between these values.

4. What are the implications of quantized energy?

The concept of quantized energy has greatly impacted our understanding of the physical world and has led to breakthroughs in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and electronics. It also helps explain certain phenomena that cannot be explained by classical physics, such as the photoelectric effect.

5. Where can I learn more about quantized energy?

There are many resources available to learn more about quantized energy, including textbooks, online courses, and scientific articles. It is a complex and constantly evolving topic, so it is important to stay updated on the latest research and theories in the field.