Where can I learn to type math script(?)

• Thread starter GcSanchez05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
There are some users who are very dedicated and take the time to type up their posts in LaTeX, which is a mathematical typesetting language. It allows for more complex and accurate mathematical notation. Some users also use it to make their posts easier to read and understand. There is no automatic way to convert regular text to LaTeX, so it does require some extra effort. However, it does make the posts look more professional and organized.
GcSanchez05
I am just posting this because my prof sent me an email with weird letters and I want to see if i can read it here...Please disregard unless you can tell me where I can go to copy and paste this so it makes sense

WLOG assume both secuences are bounded by the same number M > 0. Then, choose \epsilon' = (\epsilon)/(2M). For \epsilon' there is n_1, and n_2 such that for
n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon' (the sequence <x_n> is Cauchy)
as well as
n, m > n_2 ---> |y_n - y_m| < \epsilon' (<y_n> is Cauchy)
But then for n_0 = max {n_1, n_2} we have
|x_ny_n - x_my_m| < M(|x_n - x_m| + |y_n - y_m|) < M(\epsilon' + \epsilon')
= M((\epsilon)/(2M) + (\epsilon)/(2M)) = \epsilon.
Done.

Physics news on Phys.org
AH! It didn't work...

GcSanchez05 said:
I am just posting this because my prof sent me an email with weird letters and I want to see if i can read it here...Please disregard unless you can tell me where I can go to copy and paste this so it makes sense

WLOG assume both secuences are bounded by the same number M > 0. Then, choose \epsilon' = (\epsilon)/(2M). For \epsilon' there is n_1, and n_2 such that for
n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon' (the sequence <x_n> is Cauchy)
as well as
n, m > n_2 ---> |y_n - y_m| < \epsilon' (<y_n> is Cauchy)
But then for n_0 = max {n_1, n_2} we have
|x_ny_n - x_my_m| < M(|x_n - x_m| + |y_n - y_m|) < M(\epsilon' + \epsilon')
= M((\epsilon)/(2M) + (\epsilon)/(2M)) = \epsilon.
Done.

GcSanchez05 said:
AH! It didn't work...

Note that you can preview your posts before posting them to see if they are going to work. Make sure you have pressed the Advanced button under the edit box. Also notice the [itex]\Sigma[/itex] icon above the edit box that will help you with entering symbols.

[Edit] Nevermind. I think I misunderstood your post.

Well I don't mean just symbols and greek letters...
Like how would i get {a_n} to appear with the n as an subscript or like a square root to appear instead of typing sqrt(x) or whatever?

It's a pain, but you can use the quote button, then edit his text by putting (itex)(/itex) tags around all the math expressions. But use [] and [] instead of the round parentheses; I just put them in so you could see them. Then preview the post. Here's a sample:

[itex]n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon[/itex]

Right click on it to see it.

GcSanchez05 said:

WLOG assume both sequences are bounded by the same number M > 0. Then, choose [itex]\epsilon' = (\epsilon)/(2M)[/itex]. For [itex]\epsilon'[/itex] there is [itex] n_1 and n_2 [/itex] such that for
[itex]n, m > n_1 ---> |x_n - x_m|< \epsilon'[/itex] (the sequence [itex]<x_n>[/itex] is Cauchy)

as well as

[itex]n, m > n_2 ---> |y_n - y_m| < \epsilon'[/itex] (<y_n> is Cauchy)

But then for [itex]n_0[/itex] = max {[itex]n_1, n_2[/itex]} we have

[itex]|x_ny_n - x_my_m| < M(|x_n - x_m| + |y_n - y_m|) < M(\epsilon' + \epsilon')
= M((\epsilon)/(2M) + (\epsilon)/(2M)) = \epsilon[/itex]
Done.

Okay, so everytime I see post like that, that means someone took there time to type up there post like that?? I figured there was an easier way to do it lol

GcSanchez05 said:
Okay, so everytime I see post like that, that means someone took there time to type up there post like that?? I figured there was an easier way to do it lol

Yes. You've got it figured out.

Related to Where can I learn to type math script(?)

1. Why is typing math script important for scientists?

Typing math script is important for scientists because it allows for precise and accurate communication of mathematical equations and formulas. It also makes it easier to share and collaborate on research with other scientists.

2. Where can I find resources to learn how to type math script?

There are numerous online resources available for learning how to type math script. Some popular options include websites such as Khan Academy, MathType, and LaTeX. Additionally, many universities and scientific organizations offer workshops or tutorials on typing math script.

3. Is it necessary to use a specific program or software to type math script?

No, it is not necessary to use a specific program or software to type math script. However, some programs such as MathType or LaTeX offer specialized features that make it easier to type and format complex equations.

4. How long does it take to learn how to type math script?

The time it takes to learn how to type math script varies depending on the individual's prior knowledge and experience. For those with a strong foundation in math, it may take only a few hours to learn the basics. However, for those with limited mathematical knowledge, it may take longer to become proficient.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for typing math script more efficiently?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and tips that can help you type math script more efficiently. For example, using keyboard shortcuts, such as Ctrl + Shift + = to insert a subscript, can save time. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the specific syntax and commands used in the program or software you are using to type math script.