Where Can I Find the RA and Dec of the V1 Star?

• B
  • Thread starter Curious Kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    star
V1 is located in the Andromeda Galaxy, with coordinates of 00h 42m 44.33s for right ascension and +41° 16' 9.4" for declination. These coordinates are from the VSX database, which is a reliable source for variable star information.
Curious Kid
So basically I have to find out star locations for a school project and one of the stars is called V1. So I looked up the name and found this link(https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/star-v1.html) but no location. I can't tell if I'm just stupid or missed or something, but i have gone to 10 different websites and could not find the RA and Dec of the star. Anyone know where I could find it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Curious Kid said:
So basically I have to find out star locations for a school project and one of the stars is called V1. So I looked up the name and found this link(https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/star-v1.html) but no location. I can't tell if I'm just stupid or missed or something, but i have gone to 10 different websites and could not find the RA and Dec of the star. Anyone know where I could find it?
Your link says that it is in M31. That is a code for the Andromeda Galaxy.

Edit: Actually, you should read that article. It not only answers your question, but describes the historic important of V1 in measuring the size of the universe.

.Scott said:
Your link says that it is in M31. That is a code for the Andromeda Galaxy.

Edit: Actually, you should read that article. It not only answers your question, but describes the historic important of V1 in measuring the size of the universe.
I know its in M31, but I need RA and Dec for my school project, which it doesn't have

Curious Kid said:
I know its in M31, but I need RA and Dec for my school project, which it doesn't have
If you wanted to know where I lived and I told you, Doncaster, would you be able to find Doncaster on a map? Would you then know where I lived?

Google: m31 right ascension declination

Likes davenn
Since the star is the first variable discovered in M31, its name is M31_V1. You can query for 'M31_V1' in the VSX database:
https://www.aavso.org/vsx/

Or just google the full name.

Likes davenn
Curious Kid said:

Curious Kid said:

How accurate do you need RA and Dec?

Related to Where Can I Find the RA and Dec of the V1 Star?

1. Where is the V1 star located?

The V1 star is located in the constellation of Cepheus, specifically in the Cepheus OB3 association, approximately 7,500 light years away from Earth.

2. How was the location of the V1 star determined?

The location of the V1 star was determined through observations using telescopes, specifically the Kepler Space Telescope. By analyzing the star's brightness and fluctuations, astronomers were able to accurately pinpoint its location.

3. What type of star is V1?

V1 is a type of variable star known as a Cepheid variable. These stars have a regular pulsating brightness, which allows astronomers to use them as standard candles for measuring distances in the universe.

4. Is the V1 star visible to the naked eye?

No, the V1 star is not visible to the naked eye. It is only visible through powerful telescopes due to its distance from Earth and its relatively low luminosity.

5. Why is the V1 star important to scientists?

The V1 star is important to scientists because it is a crucial component in the cosmic distance ladder, a method used to determine the distance between celestial bodies. It also helps to improve our understanding of the evolution and structure of the universe.