Predicting the Location of a Star Within an Image

• Thread starter tentheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Star
In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the pixel coordinates of stars within the field of view of a spacecraft camera. They have used the right ascension and declination of the camera's center and dimensions to filter a star catalog. However, they are having trouble converting the celestial coordinates of the stars into pixel coordinates using a gnomonic projection. They provide the equations for the transformation from tangent plane to pixel coordinates, but are getting incorrect results. They request advice and provide a link for further assistance.
tentheory
Hi,

I'm attempting to determine the approximate pixel coordinates of cataloged stars within the field of view of a spacecraft camera.

I'm given the right ascension and declination of the center of the camera field of view and its dimensions. I've used that information to filter a star catalog in order to determine which stars should appear in the image.

I'm having difficulty converting the right ascension and declination of the stars predicted to appear in the field of view into pixel coordinates.

I'm using a gnomonic projection to go from celestial coordinates to tangent plane coordinates, described in section 4.3 of this link:http://ugastro.berkeley.edu/infrared10/astrometry/lab3-v3.pdf"

X = (cos(dec)*sin(ra - ra0)) / (sin(dec)*sin(dec0) + cos(dec)*cos(dec0)*cos(ra - ra0))
Y = (sin(dec)*cos(dec0) - cos(dec)*sin(dec0)*cos(ra - ra0)) / (sin(dec)*sin(dec0) + cos(dec)*cos(dec0)*cos(ra - ra0))

where X and Y are tangent plane coordinates, ra0 and dec0 are the right ascension and declination of the center of the camera's field of view and ra and dec are the right ascension and declination of the star.

and then the following transformation from tangent plane to pixel coordinates:

x = f * (X/p) + x0;
y = f * (Y/p) + y0;

where x and y are pixel coordinates, f is the camera focal length, p is the pixel dimension (assuming the pixels are square) and (x0, y0) is the location of the center pixel. In my case, f is 2619mm and p is 0.52mm, and (x0,y0) is (128,128). The detector is 256x256.

When I calculate the pixel coordinates, I'm getting results on the order of 103, which clearly does not make sense. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Related to Predicting the Location of a Star Within an Image

1. How do scientists predict the location of a star within an image?

To predict the location of a star within an image, scientists use various techniques such as astrometry and photometry. Astrometry involves measuring the position of the star in the image relative to known reference stars, while photometry looks at the brightness of the star in the image. By combining these techniques and using specialized software, scientists can accurately predict the location of a star within an image.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of predicting a star's location within an image?

Several factors can impact the accuracy of predicting a star's location within an image. These include atmospheric conditions, telescope and camera optics, and the quality of the image itself. Additionally, human error in data processing can also affect the accuracy of the prediction.

3. Can stars be predicted in images taken from different telescopes?

Yes, stars can be predicted in images taken from different telescopes. However, the accuracy of the prediction may vary depending on the resolution and quality of the images from each telescope. It is important to use consistent techniques and reference points when predicting the location of stars from different telescopes to minimize errors.

4. How precise are predictions of a star's location within an image?

The precision of predicting a star's location within an image depends on various factors such as the resolution of the image, the accuracy of the instruments used, and the data processing techniques. In general, predictions can be accurate to within a few arcseconds, which is equivalent to a small fraction of the diameter of the moon.

5. Can predicting the location of stars in images help us understand the universe?

Yes, predicting the location of stars in images is crucial for understanding the universe. By accurately determining the positions of stars, scientists can study the motion and behavior of celestial objects, track their movements over time, and make important discoveries about the structure and evolution of the universe.