Where Can I Find Research Resources on the Impact of Science in the Media?

In summary, popular science in the media can sometimes be helpful to science, but can also create false hope or hype.
SUDOnym
Hello

I am writing an essay entitled "popularization of science in the media - friend or foe to science?" as an assignment.

I would be grateful for recommendations of online resources that would help me on this, ie. are there groups that have done surveys and studies on topics such as: how does the general public perceive science and scientists. How does the general public respond to popular science shows such as "Horizon". Are there good review websites that I could get info about shows such as "Cosmos" and "the ascent of man" for example.

Another point I heard is that since Brian Cox has been making popular physics documentaries there has been an increase in people applying to study physics at third level in the UK... so this is the kind of info/ survey stuff I'm looking for.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
please also note, I intend to address the false hope that science in the media can sometimes create. ie ofter hear of developments towards nuclear fusion which led to the cynical line "nuclear fusion is 20 years away, it always has been and always will be.". Similarly for cures for cancer - occasionaly see popular articles suggesting that cancer cures may be close.

In a similar vain, the neutrino results from CERN I think have caused lots of unnecessary hype...

Any resources that may cover what I have outlined above are greatly appreciated ie. those articles of popular science that create false hope or unnecessary hype

I'm not sure about resources for this, but have you considered doing your own study or survey?

I don't think I'd be able to do a survey of any genuine value to be honest... ie. I think for example those kind of surveys where you approach people on the street and say "excuse me sir, how do you feel about popular science in the media?" are not worth very much.. people often don't say what they actually think and often don't even know what they actually think (I include myself in this! that is to say, I don't really know how popular science has influenced me really..)

for reaching out for recommendations on online resources for your essay. There are several organizations and websites that have conducted surveys and studies on the perception of science and scientists in the media. Some suggestions for your research include the Pew Research Center, the National Science Foundation, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. These organizations have published reports and studies on topics such as public attitudes towards science and the impact of media on scientific literacy.

In terms of popular science shows, the website Metacritic offers reviews and ratings for various TV shows, including "Horizon," "Cosmos," and "The Ascent of Man." You may also want to check out the websites of these shows' broadcasting networks, such as BBC for "Horizon" and Fox for "Cosmos," for additional information and resources.

Regarding the influence of popular science documentaries on the interest in studying physics, you may want to look into academic studies on the subject, such as "The Impact of Popular Science TV Shows on Students' Attitudes Towards Science and Science Careers" by R. R. Yager and S. K. Yager. Additionally, you can search for news articles and interviews with experts in the field, such as Brian Cox himself, to gather insights on this trend.

I hope these suggestions help in your research. Remember to critically evaluate your sources and consider multiple perspectives on the topic to ensure a well-rounded and thorough essay. Good luck!

Related to Where Can I Find Research Resources on the Impact of Science in the Media?

1. What types of research resources should I use for my essay?

There are a variety of research resources that you can use for your essay, such as books, scholarly articles, websites, and interviews. It is important to use a mix of both primary and secondary sources to provide a well-rounded argument and support for your topic.

2. How do I know if a source is reliable for my essay?

When evaluating the reliability of a source, consider the author's credentials, the publication date, and the reputation of the source. Look for sources from reputable publishers or organizations, and avoid biased or outdated information.

3. Can I use Wikipedia as a research resource for my essay?

While Wikipedia can be a good starting point for basic information, it should not be used as a primary source for academic essays. Instead, use the sources cited in the article as a starting point for further research.

4. How can I access research resources that are not available online?

If you are unable to find a research resource online, you may be able to access it through your local library. Many libraries have physical copies of books, journals, and other resources that can be borrowed or accessed through interlibrary loan.

5. Are there any specific databases or search engines I should use for my research?

There are many databases and search engines that can help you find relevant research resources for your essay. Some popular ones include Google Scholar, JSTOR, and ProQuest. Check with your school or institution to see if they have access to any specific databases that may be helpful for your topic.