Where can I find a list of physics axioms?

In summary, there are no axioms in physics, as they are used in logic and mathematics. The fundamental laws of physics are based on experimentation and observation, and some of the fundamental laws of classical mechanics include Newton's laws, d'Alembert's principle, and Hamilton's principle.
mtanti
Are basic principles like those of Newton's laws of motion considered as physics axioms on which you expand to physics theorems?

Where can I find a list of physics axioms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking there are no "axioms" in physics. Those are used in logic and mathemathematics. There are some fundamental "laws" of physics that are based on experimentation and observation.

The fundamental laws of classical mechanics at a lower level are Newton's laws. However, to introduce a more formal mathematical approach to classical physics, one may state that the fundamental law is d'Alembert's principle (the differential principle) or Hamilton's principle (the integral principle).

Related to Where can I find a list of physics axioms?

1. What is a physics axiom?

A physics axiom is a fundamental principle or statement that is accepted as true without requiring proof. It serves as a starting point for logical reasoning and the development of theories in physics.

2. Why is it important to have a list of physics axioms?

A list of physics axioms provides a foundation for understanding and approaching various physical phenomena. It also helps in the development of mathematical models and theories to explain these phenomena.

3. Where can I find a comprehensive list of physics axioms?

A comprehensive list of physics axioms can be found in textbooks, scientific journals, and online resources such as physics websites and databases. It is important to verify the credibility and reliability of the source before using the list.

4. How are physics axioms different from laws and theories?

Physics axioms are basic assumptions or principles that are accepted as true, while laws and theories are explanations or descriptions of physical phenomena based on these axioms. Laws and theories are subject to change and modification, while axioms are considered to be universally true.

5. Can physics axioms be proven?

No, physics axioms cannot be proven as they serve as the foundation for logical reasoning and cannot be reduced to simpler statements. They are accepted as true based on empirical evidence and logical consistency.