Can Axioms Revolutionize Our Understanding of Physics?

• I
  • Thread starter Yaya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a list of axioms for physics would need to be based on experiments and common sense, rather than logical deduction.
Yaya
After the idea of deducing theorems and propositions from axioms became widespread in mathematics, our knowledge grew tremendously. Why haven't we done the same for physics ? I have a list of axioms which I think will work for physics but I don't want to release them yet before seeing what other people think. Could this possibly allow us to explain phenomenon such as dark energy and dark matter ? Possibly discover other things as well ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is not mathematics.

Likes bhobba, Wrichik Basu, davenn and 4 others
Yaya said:
After the idea of deducing theorems and propositions from axioms became widespread in mathematics, our knowledge grew tremendously. Why haven't we done the same for physics?
Physics is an empirical science, so it operates by proposing hypotheses and testing how well they predict the results of experiments and observations. Theories are judged by how well they describe the universe in which we live, as opposed to axiomatization which judges propositions by their consistency with initial assumptions chosen because they lead to interesting problems.
I have a list of axioms which I think will work for physics but I don't want to release them yet before seeing what other people think.
Please do respect the forum rules about not posting personal theories.

Likes Cryo, davenn, dRic2 and 3 others
There are lots of papers on various axiomatizations of physics. You may want to start with some research on what has already been done and the known problems before you go off proposing your own list of axioms.

However, the fact that you were not even aware of the existing work on this topic pretty much guarantees that your current list of axioms will be fatally flawed. Before you can think outside the box you need to know what is already in the box and before you can know what is in the box you have to at least be aware that there is a box.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes nomadreid, Cryo, Protea Grandiceps and 8 others
I like a passage in a book by the (very) mathematical physicist Robert Georch:

"It seems to me that "theories of physics" have, in the main, gotten a terrible press. The view has somehow come to be rampant that such theories are precise, highly logical, ultimately "proved". In my opinion, at least, this is simply not the case - not the case for general relativity and not the case for any other theory in physics. First, theories, in my view, consist of an enormous number of ideas, arguments, hunches, vague feelings, value judgements, and so on, all arranged in a maze. These various ingredients are connected in a complicated way. It is this entire body of material that is "the theory". One's mental picture of the theory is this nebulous mass taken as a whole. In presenting the theory, however, one can hardly attempt to present a "nebulous mass taken as a whole". One is thus forced to rearrange it so that it is linear, consisting of one point after another, each connected in some more or less direct way with its predecessor. What is supposed to happen is that one who learns the theory, presented in this linear way, then proceeds to form his own "nebulous mass taken as a whole". The points are all rearranged, numerous new connections between these points are introduced, hunches and vague feelings come into play, and so on. In one's own approach to the theory, one normally makes no attempt to isolate a few of these points to be called "postulates". One makes no attempt to derive the rest of the theory from postulates. (What, indeed, could it mean to "derive" something about the physical world?) One makes no attempt to "prove" the theory, or any part of it. (I don't even know what a "proof" could mean in this context. I wouldn't recognize a "proof" of a physical theory if I saw one.) "

Likes martinbn, hilbert2, PeroK and 1 other person
Yaya said:
After the idea of deducing theorems and propositions from axioms became widespread in mathematics, our knowledge grew tremendously.
That's a process of deduction. There is never anything contained in a conclusion that isn't already present in the axioms.

Physics is a process of induction. Take something like Einstein's famous mass-energy equivalence: ##E_o=mc^2##. It can't be proven. Yes, it can be derived from some other assumptions, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily a universal truth that has been proven to be always true.

There are many axiomatizations of parts of physics: Newton's 3 laws, the 3 or 4 laws of classical thermodynamics, the microcanonical emsemble of statistical mechanics, Maxwell's equations, the postulates of quantum mechanics, the standard model Lageangian.

Related to Can Axioms Revolutionize Our Understanding of Physics?

1. Why isn't physics axiomized?

Physics is not axiomized because it is a constantly evolving field with new discoveries and theories being developed all the time. Axioms, or basic principles, are meant to be universally true and unchanging, which does not align with the nature of physics.

2. What is the difference between axioms and laws in physics?

Axioms are fundamental principles that are assumed to be true and are used to build theories, while laws are statements that describe observed phenomena and are based on empirical evidence. Axioms are more abstract and theoretical, while laws are more concrete and observable.

3. Can physics ever be fully axiomized?

It is unlikely that physics can ever be fully axiomized due to its complex and ever-changing nature. As new discoveries and theories are made, the existing axioms may need to be revised or expanded to accommodate them.

4. Are there any attempts to axiomize physics?

There have been attempts to axiomize physics, such as the development of grand unified theories that aim to explain all fundamental forces and particles in a single framework. However, these attempts have not been successful in fully axiomizing physics.

5. How does the lack of axiomization in physics affect its validity?

The lack of axiomization in physics does not affect its validity. The theories and laws in physics are constantly tested and validated through experiments and observations, regardless of whether they are based on axioms or not. Axioms are not necessary for the validity of scientific theories.