Where Can I Find a Free, Readable Analysis II Textbook?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a second book in analysis. The person mentions disliking Baby Rudin and prefers Abbott's "Understanding Analysis" for its readability. Another person suggests Munkres' "Analysis on Manifolds" or Spivak's book for multivariable calculus. They also mention Bruckner, Bruckner, & Thomson's "Elementary Real Analysis" for a Baby Rudin level course. The Real Analysis book is mainly focused on measure theory and Lebesgue integration.
Mariogs379
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good second book in analysis (ideally free/online, but doesn't have to be). My Analysis I class used Baby Rudin and did the first 6 chapters but I really disliked the book.

Any suggestions would be great! Fwiw, I found Abbott's "Understanding Analysis" really readable, whereas Rudin was terse/uninstructive.

Thanks,
Mariogs

Physics news on Phys.org
For multivariable calculus, Munkres' "Analysis on Manifolds" is excellent. Spivak's book is also good but a bit terse, and it takes a similar approach to Munkres, just using less pages. So I'd go for Munkres.

Here is Bruckner, Bruckner, & Thomson:

http://classicalrealanalysis.info/com/FREE-PDF-DOWNLOADS.php

I used the Elementary Real Analysis one for a Baby Rudin level course. It was pretty good, except some of the later material for differentiation in R^n. I haven't really used the Real Analysis one, but it is mainly on measure theory and Lebesgue integration, if that is what you consider a "second course."

Last edited:

Related to Where Can I Find a Free, Readable Analysis II Textbook?

1. What is the purpose of "Good Book for Analysis II"?

The purpose of "Good Book for Analysis II" is to provide a comprehensive guide to advanced analysis techniques in mathematics. It covers topics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations.

2. Is "Good Book for Analysis II" suitable for beginners?

No, "Good Book for Analysis II" is not suitable for beginners. It is designed for students who have already completed a basic course in calculus and are ready to dive deeper into advanced analysis concepts.

3. Does "Good Book for Analysis II" cover real-world applications of analysis?

Yes, "Good Book for Analysis II" includes real-world applications of analysis in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also includes exercises and examples to help students apply the concepts to practical problems.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Good Book for Analysis II"?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus, as well as some exposure to linear algebra before reading "Good Book for Analysis II". Knowledge of basic mathematical proofs is also helpful.

5. How is "Good Book for Analysis II" different from other analysis textbooks?

"Good Book for Analysis II" stands out for its clear explanations, extensive use of examples and exercises, and its focus on real-world applications. It also includes advanced topics such as differential forms and Fourier series, making it a comprehensive resource for students studying advanced analysis.