Where Can I Find a Basic 3D Model of a Steam Turbine for Simulation?

In summary: I have been working in the engineering field for 10 years now and I have never seen anything like it. I have seen companies that will give you a model for a part if you pay them, but that's about it. Yeah tell me about it. It's an eye opening experience for me to say the least. I have been working in the engineering field for 10 years now and I have never seen anything like it. I have seen companies that will give you a model for a part if you pay them, but that's about it.
cwolff
Hello I am new to these forums and probably will be here for a long time. I am looking for a 3D model of a steam turbine I can play with in either CATIA, ANSYS, or Solidworks. I just want to run thermodynamic simulations and not modify any mechanical or structural components. I have been looking for 3 months with no luck. The major manufacturers won't give me a "basic" 3D model without any of their modifications. Seems folks are generally selfish and unhelpful in corporate bureaucracies.

Any help i.e. a 3D model will be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think you understand what it is you are asking for when it comes to the reaction you are getting from manufacturers. You are asking for models they created. To them, you are someone who wants to take their work and reverse engineer it, to modify it. For what end? They don't know. It's their intellectual property.

Now on to another question...why do you need a 3D model to do a thermo analysis?

I'll have to design my own then...

cwolff said:
I'll have to design my own then...
99% of the time, that is going to be the case. I used to have a job that required a lot of reverse engineering of components. My life would have been MUCH easier if companies were more willing to share cad models. Many do for sales purposes, but usually they are smaller components like cylinders, bolts, etc...

FredGarvin said:
99% of the time, that is going to be the case. I used to have a job that required a lot of reverse engineering of components. My life would have been MUCH easier if companies were more willing to share cad models. Many do for sales purposes, but usually they are smaller components like cylinders, bolts, etc...

Yeah tell me about it. It's an eye opening experience for me to say the least.

Related to Where Can I Find a Basic 3D Model of a Steam Turbine for Simulation?

1. What is a steam turbine?

A steam turbine is a type of heat engine that uses steam to generate mechanical energy that can be converted into electricity. It is commonly used in power plants to generate electricity.

2. Why is a 3D model of a steam turbine needed?

A 3D model of a steam turbine is needed for several reasons. It can be used for training and educational purposes, to better understand the inner workings of the turbine, and to aid in the design and development of new turbines.

3. Who would benefit from a 3D model of a steam turbine?

A 3D model of a steam turbine would benefit engineers, scientists, students, and anyone who wants to learn more about how steam turbines work. It can also be useful for companies in the power industry for training and design purposes.

4. How accurate would the 3D model be?

The accuracy of the 3D model would depend on the level of detail and information provided. The more information and data available, the more accurate the model can be. It is important to work closely with the person or team creating the model to ensure the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

5. What software is needed to create a 3D model of a steam turbine?

There are several software programs that can be used to create a 3D model of a steam turbine, such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and Blender. The specific software used would depend on the preferences and expertise of the person or team creating the model.