Where and how can i study this ? thank you .

In summary: Random processes and signal processing is the area of study you will find this information. You will also want to get a good understanding of information theory which is a branch of math that deals with the quantification of information and uncertainty. This is a foundational requirement of the program so if you are up for the task I would suggest that you start there. If you want to understand how this all relates to the brain I would suggest that you study systems theory, control theory and cybernetics as well. These are all good areas of study if you are interested in the relationship between uncertainty and free will.I hope this helps.
Braham
i am currently 18 years old , i just finished high-school with a high average , i can study almost anything i want in my country (Tunisia - north africa) but i do not think that i can find what i need here . i have a problem in my mind , i want to understand the architecture of our (human) intelligence and consciousness (general) and i am really interested in Artificial intelligence . so to sum things up , i am interested in Neuroscience , physics and technology . since the program of our schools here in tunisia is really limited i did do some independant research on programming and algorithms which i succeeded at and managed to get myself working with engineers from all around the world . now when it comes to neuroscience , i was unable to study that on my own, but i cannot get it off my mind . the reason i mentioned physics , is because i believe that without Quantum mechanics and the probability theory and uncertainty , free-will does not exist , and i believe that free-will is real (you cannot blame me for that since proving otherwise is not possible) anyway , i was unable to find the right place for me to study all of these fields at once ... can someone please guide me ? thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Braham said:
i am currently 18 years old , i just finished high-school with a high average , i can study almost anything i want in my country (Tunisia - north africa) but i do not think that i can find what i need here . i have a problem in my mind , i want to understand the architecture of our (human) intelligence and consciousness (general) and i am really interested in Artificial intelligence . so to sum things up , i am interested in Neuroscience , physics and technology . since the program of our schools here in tunisia is really limited i did do some independant research on programming and algorithms which i succeeded at and managed to get myself working with engineers from all around the world . now when it comes to neuroscience , i was unable to study that on my own, but i cannot get it off my mind . the reason i mentioned physics , is because i believe that without Quantum mechanics and the probability theory and uncertainty , free-will does not exist , and i believe that free-will is real (you cannot blame me for that since proving otherwise is not possible) anyway , i was unable to find the right place for me to study all of these fields at once ... can someone please guide me ? thank you.

First of all, you really should restrict your question to JUST the narrow scope that you want to know, rather than threading on thin ice by including your own "personal theory" which might violate the forum rules (you don't want to run into trouble in just your very first post).

Secondly, it is useless for me to suggest that you go to, say Harvard, if you do not have the resources or capability to do that. You need to elaborate a lot more on your situation, i.e. what can you afford, what have you done to further your studies overseas (TOEFL, SAT, etc.). Without such information, we might simply give you suggestion that you can't use. What good will that do?

Zz.

thank you Zapper , i did not take any supplementary tests (SAT..) my father can afford , don't worry about that part . where though ? (i can't get to the United States , my limit is europe).
if i don't take any moves now , i will end up being a doctor like everyone else .

Here's a list of institutes with degrees in cognitive science: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_institutions_granting_degrees_in_cognitive_science

Several lean towards psychology, and others, like the University of Dundee's undergraduate program, lean towards computer science. There seem to be quite a few different types of program of various types in Europe on the list which fall near your stated interests.

Hey Braham.

If you are curious about uncertainty and free will the best suggestion I can give to start is work your way up to understanding probability, statistics, calculus and information theory.

Your question of free will is going to be a function of information and uncertainty and you will find that this understanding in context will help you more (at a foundational level) than philosophy, science, and other branches (even though they certainly can complement this mathematical understanding of uncertainty extremely well).

You cover most of this stuff in a mathematics degree with the right electives.

Related to Where and how can i study this ? thank you .

1. Where can I study this?

The best place to study a specific topic will depend on your individual interests and career goals. You can start by researching universities or colleges that offer programs related to your desired subject. Additionally, online courses, local community colleges, and even libraries can be great resources for studying a subject.

2. How can I study this subject effectively?

Effective studying techniques can vary from person to person, but some general tips include finding a quiet and comfortable study space, setting realistic goals and deadlines, breaking down the material into smaller chunks, and actively engaging with the material through notes, summaries, and practice questions. Experiment with different methods to find what works best for you.

3. What resources are available for studying this subject?

There are many resources available to help you study a specific subject. These can include textbooks, online articles and videos, study guides, practice quizzes and exams, and study groups or tutors. Don't be afraid to reach out to your professors or classmates for additional resources and support.

4. Can I study this subject on my own?

Yes, you can definitely study a subject on your own. However, it can be challenging to stay motivated and focused without the structure and guidance of a formal education setting. It's important to set goals, create a study schedule, and seek out resources and support to help you stay on track and deepen your understanding of the subject.

5. How long will it take to study this subject?

The amount of time it takes to study a subject will depend on several factors, such as your prior knowledge and experience, the complexity of the material, and your study habits. It's important to give yourself enough time to thoroughly understand the subject and not rush through the material. On average, it can take several weeks to several months to fully study a subject.