When you have no idea how to work out a problem

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an expression ##y=\frac{sinx}{n}## at ##n=3## and ##x=3##, which simplifies to ##y=6##. However, this joke is not appropriate for the homework section and should be posted in the designated thread for math jokes.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement:: evaluate ##y=\frac{sin{x}}{\text{n}}## at ##n=3## and ##x=3##
Relevant Equations:: ##y=\frac{sin{x}}{\text{n}}##

##y=\frac{sinx}{n}##
##y=\frac{si\cancel{n}x}{\cancel{n}}##
##y=six##
##y=6##

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, PeroK and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
E hehe nice joke but this seems to be intended for the general discussion/jokes section. I think some moderators though they might find this funny, won't be very happy that you post it here.

Wrong. Since ##\pi=3##, the expression evaluates to 0.

Likes Delta2
@docnet, please don't post any more of these groaners in the homework sections...

Yes, we already have a thread Bad Math Jokes. That's the place for them.

• Haha
Likes mcastillo356, Delta2 and PeroK

Related to When you have no idea how to work out a problem

What should I do when I have no idea how to work out a problem?

When faced with a difficult problem, it can be overwhelming and frustrating. The first step is to take a deep breath and remain calm. Panicking will not help you find a solution.

Should I ask for help when I am stuck on a problem?

Yes, it is always okay to ask for help when you are stuck on a problem. This could be from a teacher, a tutor, or a peer. Sometimes a fresh perspective or a different approach can help you find a solution.

What are some strategies for working out a problem when I have no idea how to start?

One strategy is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify what you already know and what you need to figure out. You can also try working backwards from the desired solution or looking for patterns in the problem.

What should I do if I still can't figure out the problem after trying different strategies?

If you have exhausted all possible strategies and still cannot find a solution, it may be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem later. Sometimes a fresh mind can lead to a breakthrough. You can also try discussing the problem with someone else or seeking additional resources.

Is it okay to make mistakes when working on a problem?

Absolutely! Making mistakes is a natural part of the problem-solving process. It is important to learn from your mistakes and use them as opportunities to grow and improve. Remember, even the most experienced scientists make mistakes.