When will the alligator population in the swamp reach four dozen?

The procedure you are using is correct. In summary, the rate of change of an alligator population is proportional to the square of the population, and using this information, you can solve for when the alligator population will reach four dozen and what will happen thereafter.
forest125
Working on some DE homework and need a tad bit of guidance. I got fairly far, I'm just wondering what the next step is.

Homework Statement

The rate of change of an alligator population P is proportional to the square of P. The swamp contained a dozen alligators in 1988, two dozen in 1998. When will there be four dozen alligators in the swamp? What happens thereafter?

Homework Equations

dP/dt=kP

The Attempt at a Solution

Let P=the number of alligators in dozens
Let t=time in years, where 1988=0

dP/dt=kP^2

∫dP/P^2=∫kdt

-1/P=kt+C

P=-1/(kt+C)

Given that P(0)=1, C=-1

For P(10)=2, k=1/20 (2=-1/(10k-1))

So now could I say that P(t)=-1/((t/20)-1), let P(t)=4 and solve for t?

My concern isn't really to get the answer but that I am not understanding the procedure for this. I feel like I'm just stumbling through.

Any help is really appreciated greatly. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are doing just fine. Yes, set P(t)=4 and solve for t.

Related to When will the alligator population in the swamp reach four dozen?

1. What are DE population models and why are they important?

DE population models are mathematical models used to study the dynamics of population growth and decline over time. These models are important because they help us understand the factors that influence population changes, such as birth rates, death rates, and immigration, and can be used to make predictions about future population trends.

2. How are DE population models different from other population models?

DE population models are different from other population models because they use differential equations to describe the rate of change of a population over time. This allows for a more detailed and dynamic analysis of population dynamics, compared to simpler models that use only basic mathematical functions.

3. What are some common assumptions made in DE population models?

Some common assumptions made in DE population models include a closed population (no immigration or emigration), a constant environment, and a homogeneous population (all individuals are identical). These assumptions help simplify the model and make it easier to analyze, but may not always reflect real-world scenarios.

4. How are DE population models used in practical applications?

DE population models are used in a variety of practical applications, such as predicting future population sizes, studying the effects of population control measures, and analyzing the impact of environmental changes on a population. They are also used in fields such as ecology, epidemiology, and economics to better understand population dynamics and make informed decisions.

5. What are some limitations of DE population models?

DE population models have some limitations, such as the assumptions mentioned earlier that may not always hold true in real-world situations. These models also require accurate and up-to-date data to be effective, and can become complex and difficult to interpret when studying large, multi-species populations. Additionally, unexpected events or changes in the environment can greatly impact the accuracy of these models.