When will an airflow cause whistling?

In summary: It's caused by the fact that the flow of air over an orifice is an oscillation in two dimensions. The pressure waves inside the flow interact with each other, and that interaction creates a standing wave. That standing wave is what causes the oscillating pressure waves.
TSN79
Is there any good approach to determining if an amount of air passing through a given slit or gap will cause a whistling sound? I'm unsure with what shapes whistling might become an issue, and also at what air velocities.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know. But generally in dust collection (which is allowed to be loud) we try to stay below 5000 fpm through ducts as above that you tend to get lots of noise. Through an open orifice, I have no idea off the top of my head. It also depends on the angle of incidence between the air path and the orifice (think of a flute or soda bottle)

Last edited:
There isn't a good approach of which I am aware. To really figure it out you will likely need some aeroacoustic simulations. It's going to depend on the geometry of the orifice, slit, or gap, the geometry of the vessel through which the air is flowing, and the details of that air flow. The whistling is caused by the oscillating of the shear layer that forms at the orifice. The amplitude and frequency of those oscillations as well as whether or not the surroundings are capable of resonating with that frequency are going to determine how audible any whistle is going to be. Depending on the geometry in question, there are going to be a few rules of thumb to help roughly determine the frequency, but that won't give you much information about whether it is going to be audible.

My suggestion would be to flip through some terminal air device catalogues, find some devices similar to what you are picturing, and see what their acoustic properties are.

Try: www.titus-hvac.com

It isn't restricted to commercial stuff. I've had cannulas (nasal prongs) for my oxygen equipment that whistled so loudly in my nose that I couldn't go to sleep. It seemed to be at their whim: sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. When they did, I would bend and twist and beat them until they got down to a level that I could eventually ignore.

The effect is called Helmoltz resonance

Related to When will an airflow cause whistling?

1. Why does airflow cause whistling?

Airflow causes whistling because when air moves through a narrow opening, it creates vibrations. These vibrations then produce sound waves, which we perceive as whistling.

2. What factors can influence when an airflow will cause whistling?

The size and shape of the opening, the speed and direction of the airflow, and the density and viscosity of the air are all factors that can influence when an airflow will cause whistling.

3. Can whistling be prevented when there is airflow?

Yes, whistling can be prevented by adjusting the factors that influence it. For example, widening the opening or reducing the speed of the airflow can prevent whistling.

4. How can whistling from airflow be used in practical applications?

Whistling from airflow can be used in applications such as musical instruments, aerodynamic testing, and industrial processes. It can also be used as a warning signal, such as in the case of a tea kettle or a pressure relief valve.

5. Is whistling from airflow always considered a problem?

No, whistling from airflow is not always considered a problem. In some cases, it can be intentionally designed for a specific purpose, as mentioned in the previous answer. However, in other cases, it can be a nuisance or indicate issues with the airflow system, such as leaks or obstructions.