When is a good time to take GRE exams?

In summary, the Physics GRE is typically taken during the senior year and covers material from freshman and sophomore-level courses. While some junior and senior level courses may also be included, the focus is on introductory material. QM and E&M are important topics that should not be overlooked in preparation for the exam. A list of topics covered on the GRE can be found on Wikipedia.
Benzoate
I've only taken my introductory physics courses so far. I haven't even begun thermal physics, junior level mechanics, senior level quantum mechanics or my senior thesis project yet. Which material do you think is generally covered on the physics exam the most.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not US, so I don't really know what GRE means.
I assume it doesn't stand for General RElativity :smile:

^^ Then you won't be able to go to U.S. graduate schools.

@ Benzoate, most people take their Physics GREs in October of their senior year. Most of the stuff covered is from freshman and sophomore-level courses so if you study a lot, you could do it Oct, Nov, or Apr in your junior year. Unlike the general GRE, it is only offered those three times a year.

Last edited:
vincebs said:
^^ Then you won't be able to go to U.S. graduate schools.

@ Benzoate, most people take their Physics GREs in October of their senior year. Most of the stuff covered is from freshman and sophomore-level courses so if you study a lot, you could do it Oct, Nov, or Apr in your junior year. Unlike the general GRE, it is only offered those three times a year.

So most of the material is covered from my first 3 introductory freshman physics courses and not my junior or senior level physics classes that are heavily math based physics courses.

No, you definitely have junior level courses.

QM and E&M are junior level. Thermal and Modern tend to be sophomore. Mathematical physics is sophomore level in my school.

But QM and E&M are pretty significant. You can't skimp out on those.

Here's a list of stuff for the GRE's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRE_Physics_Test

Most people I know won't know all of that by the time they take the GRE's, but they will have seen MOST of it.

Related to When is a good time to take GRE exams?

1. When is the best time to take the GRE?

The best time to take the GRE is when you feel fully prepared and confident in your abilities. It is recommended to take the exam at least 3-4 months before your graduate school application deadlines, so you have enough time to retake the exam if needed.

2. How often can I take the GRE?

You can take the GRE once every 21 days, up to five times within any continuous rolling 12-month period. However, it is recommended to only take the exam up to three times within a 12-month period to avoid over-testing and potential burnout.

3. Should I take the GRE before or after I have completed my undergraduate studies?

It is recommended to take the GRE after completing your undergraduate studies, as you will have a strong foundation in the material covered on the exam. However, if you are confident in your abilities and have sufficient time to prepare, you can also take the exam during your final year of undergraduate studies.

4. How long does it take to receive GRE scores?

You will receive your unofficial GRE scores for the verbal and quantitative sections immediately after completing the exam. Official scores, including the analytical writing section, will be available within 10-15 days after the exam.

5. Can I cancel my GRE scores after taking the exam?

Yes, you can cancel your GRE scores after taking the exam if you are not satisfied with your performance. However, you must make the decision to cancel before viewing your scores. Once you view your scores, you will not have the option to cancel them. Also, note that cancelled scores will not be reported to any institutions.