When is a good time to give up on a problem?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Mastermind01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying Time
In summary, if you are having trouble with a problem, try to ask for help, and be conscious of your own exhaustion.
Mastermind01
Hello all,

Apologies if this has already been asked.

While studying, I often encounter hard problems, problems that I can't solve after repeated tries. When is a good time to give up and succumb to seeing the solution or asking someone?
Ideally, I think the answer is never. But I have a syllabus to cover so I can't sit around forever with it.

Thanks.

Likes member 587159 and ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of giving up, I think that this is what the forum is for. If you try hard repeatedly with limited success, try reaching out! So long as you know what to do the next time that problem comes around.

Mastermind01 said:
Hello all,

Apologies if this has already been asked.

While studying, I often encounter hard problems, problems that I can't solve after repeated tries. When is a good time to give up and succumb to seeing the solution or asking someone?
Ideally, I think the answer is never. But I have a syllabus to cover so I can't sit around forever with it.

Thanks.
I usually ask for help when I just feel completely stuck. not any specific time period...

Knowing when to stop (and when to keep going) is a skill that the most successful students that I've observed all master.

A lot depends on the context. How may other demands do you have on your time? What is the opportunity cost of working on this problem? Given enough time, you'll probably be able to force through some kind of solution on just about anything, but as you've pointed out your time is not unlimited. And you could be learning other things with it - some of which may be more important than the problem at hand.

While there's no perfect algorithm for this, here are a few suggestion that might help.
  1. With any kind of assigned problem set, start as early as possible and realize that you don't have to solve it all in one sitting. Even if you just do the easy problems and skip over the others. Sometimes the point is to expose your mind to the problem so that you know what it is. This allows you to work on it subconsciously. You can turn it over in your mind while doing other things. And it can give you more opportunity to key in on material relevant to the solution that you might come across.
  2. Track your workload. If you have five assignments to finish between Sunday and Friday, it's only reasonable to allocate about one night's worth of time to each one. Just like when writing an exam, if one problem is taking up more time than it's worth in your time budget, move on and come back to it when everything else is complete.
  3. If a problem is giving you trouble, try to articulate why. Are you having problems at the conceptual level? Is the problem confusing? Do you think you know what you're doing, but the numbers just aren't working out? This can help with establishing a strategy for tackling it.
  4. Be conscious of your own exhaustion. Why stay up late and spend three hours on a problem that you can tackle in one hour with a good night's sleep (assuming that because you've started early it's not due the next morning).
  5. The same goes for needs to socialize, play, exercise etc. Keeping your life balanced will sharpen your focus.

Likes Mastermind01

Related to When is a good time to give up on a problem?

1. When should I give up on a problem?

The decision to give up on a problem depends on various factors such as the significance of the problem, the potential for finding a solution, and the resources available. It is important to carefully evaluate the situation and determine if continuing to work on the problem is worth the time and effort.

2. How do I know if I should keep trying to solve a problem?

If you are making progress and gaining new insights or solutions, then it may be worth continuing to work on the problem. However, if you have exhausted all potential solutions and are not making any progress, it may be time to consider giving up.

3. Should I give up if I am facing obstacles or setbacks in solving a problem?

Facing obstacles and setbacks is a normal part of problem-solving. It is important to assess the nature and severity of the obstacles and determine if they can be overcome. If the obstacles are insurmountable, it may be time to give up on the problem and move on to other tasks.

4. Is it ever a good idea to give up on a problem?

While perseverance is important, it is also important to recognize when a problem is not worth pursuing. If a problem is not relevant to your goals or does not have a significant impact, it may be better to give up and focus on more important tasks.

5. How do I avoid giving up too soon on a problem?

It is important to have a clear understanding of the problem and to have a plan of action before giving up. Make sure you have explored all possible solutions and have sought advice from others. It may also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective before making a decision to give up.