When is a function linear and when is it affine?

In summary, a linear function is one where the output doubles when the input doubles and can be represented by a line graph. It follows the two rules of f(a+b) = f(a) + f(b) and f(λa) = λf(a). However, an affine function is a more general form of a linear function and involves intercepts as well. This distinction may not be taught until college algebra, but understanding it at a younger age can be helpful in understanding more complex concepts in the future.
tomwilliam2

Homework Statement

My son (aged 13) received his math test back, and got the following problem wrong:

Which of the following functions is linear?
A: f(x) = -3x + 5
B: g(x) = x^2
C: h(x) = 6x - (1/2)
D: p(x) = 4x/5

The attempt at a solution
He answered B, which is clearly wrong, but it wasn't clear to me why D was supposed to be the right answer. I would have though A and C were also linear. According to his textbook, those are affine functions, and a linear function has to go through the origin. Is this right?
The following website seems to confirm it, but I've always been taught that a linear function is any function where Delta Y / Delta X = constant.
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m309-03a/a1/olafson/affine_fuctions.htm

Edit: I just found the test and changed the values in it, which doesn't affect the question

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
StoneTemplePython said:
Your post reminds me of this thread (which is worth reading):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/linear-relationships.928951/

- - - -

For age 13, I would have thought anything but (B) is ok -- all the other answers have lines in them.

My thinking exactly, but it does seem that a few of the knowledgeable posters in the thread you indicated agree with my son's textbook. It would appear that the way I was taught (i.e. that f(x) = ax + b is linear) is really a simplification, and they should have called it an affine function. It still strikes me as strange though, given that "linear" should mean you can graphically represent it using a line...

Last edited:
tomwilliam2 said:

My thinking exactly, but it does seem that a few of the knowledgeable posters in the thread you indicated agree with my son's textbook. It would appear that the way I was taught (i.e. that f(x) = ax + b is linear) is really a simplification, and they should have called it an affine function. It still strikes me as strange though, given that "linear" should mean you can graphically represent it using a line...

To be crystal clear, what linearity really means is, ##f## is linear iff

##f(a + b) = f(a) + f(b)##
and
##f(\lambda a) = \lambda f(a)##
- - - -
graphically that second statement can be interpreted as saying if you double your input, you double your output. This is a simple idea that most students should grasp. (Maybe a simple example like ##y = 7x## vs ##y = 7x + 100## would hit the idea home?)

The first statement can be interpreted as saying that you can draw two line segments on the right (e.g. one line segment is from ##\big(0,0\big) \to \big(a,f(a)\big)## and the other is ##\big(0,0\big) \to \big(b,f(b)\big)##) and add them heads to tails, to get the line segment on the left hand side ##f(a + b)##

- - - -

if instead you use a function ##f## where

##f(x) = mx +c ## and ##c \neq 0##

then you break the definition of linearity because
##f(a + b) = m(a+b) + c \neq m(a+b) + 2c = \big(ma + c\big) + \big(mb + c\big) = f(a) + f(b)##

this is why you want the line to go through the origin.
- - - -
in your original post you mention ##\frac{\Delta x }{\Delta y}## which is equal to ##= m##. Yes this is key for linearity. But the point is that in linear functions this is the only thing you need to know. With affine functions, you need to juggle intercepts as well.

- - - -
These misconceptions apparently bleed all the way into College Algebra.

Personally, I didn't appreciate the difference until Linear Algebra -- where people make distinctions between vector spaces and affine spaces. I'm surprised that they are making the distinction at 13, though it should be helpful later on.

If I was teaching it at that age level, I'd probably say

##f(x) = mx +c ##

gives the equation of a line. Let's plot some examples and see. Now the really good stuff is easiest to use... what's the easiest to use? When the lines go through the origin. (Then give the double input, to double output example.) Mathematicians like easy to use stuff and...

- - - -

Last edited:
StoneTemplePython said:
To be crystal clear, what linearity really means is, ##f## is linear iff

##f(a + b) = f(a) + f(b)##
and
##f(\lambda a) = \lambda f(a)##
- - - -
graphically that second statement can be interpreted as saying if you double your input, you double your output. This is a simple idea that most students should grasp. (Maybe a simple example like ##y = 7x## vs ##y = 7x + 100## would hit the idea home?)

The first statement can be interpreted as saying that you can draw two line segments on the right (e.g. one line segment is from ##\big(0,0\big) \to \big(a,f(a)\big)## and the other is ##\big(0,0\big) \to \big(b,f(b)\big)##) and add them heads to tails, to get the line segment on the left hand side ##f(a + b)##

- - - -

if instead you use a function ##f## where

##f(x) = mx +c ## and ##c \neq 0##

then you break the definition of linearity because
##f(a + b) = m(a+b) + c \neq m(a+b) + 2c = \big(ma + c\big) + \big(mb + c\big) = f(a) + f(b)##

this is why you want the line to go through the origin.
- - - -
in your original post you mention ##\frac{\Delta x }{\Delta y}## which is equal to ##= m##. Yes this is key for linearity. But the point is that in linear functions this is the only thing you need to know. With affine functions, you need to juggle intercepts as well.

- - - -
These misconceptions apparently bleed all the way into College Algebra.

Personally, I didn't appreciate the difference until Linear Algebra -- where people make distinctions between vector spaces and affine spaces. I'm surprised that they are making the distinction at 13, though it should be helpful later on.

If I was teaching it at that age level, I'd probably say

##f(x) = mx +c ##

gives the equation of a line. Let's plot some examples and see. Now the really good stuff is easiest to use... what's the easiest to use? When the lines go through the origin. (Then give the double input, to double output example.) Mathematicians like easy to use stuff and...

- - - -
Thanks, that's crystal clear.
My son is learning math in the Portuguese system, where they do things a lot more formally than they did where I learned it (the UK). Still, it's good to know this reasoning so I can explain why the correct answer is correct.

unfortunately the word "linear" is used in both senses. A polynomial such as 2x+7 is linear, because it has no term of degree > 1, and hence in that sense defines a linear function. But in linear algebra, a function is only considered linear if it is also homogeneous, i.e. linear and also has zero constant term; so unfortunately what used to be called homogeneous linear is now usually just called linear, and thia leds to the confusion you experienced. so as usual you always have to ask what is the meaning of the words being used in each situation.

Related to When is a function linear and when is it affine?

1. What is the difference between a linear function and an affine function?

A linear function is a mathematical function that has a constant rate of change and produces a straight line when graphed. An affine function, on the other hand, is a combination of a linear function and a constant term. This results in a function that is not always a straight line, but still has a constant rate of change.

2. How can you determine if a function is linear or affine?

A function is linear if it satisfies the property of additivity, meaning that f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y). An affine function, in addition to being additive, also has the property of homogeneity, meaning that f(kx) = kf(x) for any constant k. Checking these properties can help determine if a function is linear or affine.

3. What is the general form of a linear function and an affine function?

The general form of a linear function is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. An affine function has the form y = mx + b + c, where c is a constant term added to the linear function.

4. Can a linear function be affine?

Yes, a linear function can also be affine if it has a constant term added to it. This would result in a function that is still linear in nature, but is not in the standard form of y = mx + b.

5. What real-life applications use linear and affine functions?

Linear and affine functions are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled over time in a straight line motion, determining the cost of a product based on the number of units purchased, and predicting the growth of a population over time. They are also commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering.