Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

When famous people pass away

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
A very famous and extremely talented actor, James Gandolfini, just passed away unexpectedly and for some strange reason I am a bit upset about it. He wasn't my favorite actor or someone I followed closely by any means, but it just seems too early and a huge loss for American cinema.

It got me thinking though about the topic of how much emotional attachment we have with people we've never met and will never meet, sometimes to a very extreme degree. So my questions for the group are:

1) Has any celebrity death every affected you in a significant way?
2) What do you think of the attachment we hold to celebrities in general?

Jameson

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
The only celebrity death that affected me to any degree was the passing of Ronnie James Dio about 3 years ago due to stomach cancer. At first I felt a bit foolish for mourning the loss of a person I never met, but over the years I loved the contributions he made to several heavy metal bands, and his music was/is a part of me, and so I decided perhaps it was okay to mourn his loss as if a friend had been taken far too soon.

I think in general the fascination the general population holds for celebrities is silly, but being attached in some way to those who affect us emotionally through their work is only natural.

mathworker

May 31, 2013
This may be something weird 'cause i am talking about someone who passed way before my birth but Bob Marley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia songs moved me alot(in fact i didn't know he passed away for a long time) but when i saw in wikipedia that he passed away early that disapointed me.
'cause i felt that his lyrics and music got some meaning and purpose and he has done meaningful songs,don't know why such people pass away that early...:(

Farmtalk

Dec 25, 2012
Two people for me:

Andy Griffith because I grew up watching the Andy Griffith with my dad, so there are a lot of great ties to the show for me.

Not an actor, but someone who was one of my idols as a kid was Tim Samaras the storm chaser. He was in it for the science instead of the money. He passed away 2 or 3 weeks ago. I first learned about him in an April 2004 National Geographic Magazine and followed him basically ever since.

I think there's a difference between having an appreciation for someone and just taking it too far. I think that some reality tv shows have gone too far and personal with the shows that are created, but I guess if it sells then it works (Not for me though :D ).