When Does A Equal the Power Set of Its Union?

Your second statement is true (and I agree that the second statement follows from the first), but it's not clear to me why you think it's useful.In summary, In order to prove A \subseteq \mathcal{P}(\bigcup A) for any set A, whose elements are all sets, the first part can be easily proved using the axioms of Extensionality, Emptyset and Pairset, Separation, Powerset, Unionset, and Infinity. However, when trying to determine when A and \mathcal{P}(\bigcup A) are equal, there is no simpler condition than A being all of \mathcal{P}(\bigcup A). Additionally, the statement that |S|
dreyvas

Homework Statement

We're working more or less with the standard ZF axioms.

Prove that [tex]A \subseteq \mathcal{P}(\bigcup A)[/tex] for any set A, whose elements are all sets. When are they equal?

Homework Equations

Just the axioms

I) Extensionality
II) Emptyset and Pairset
III) Separation
IV) Powerset
V) Unionset
VI) Infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove the first part pretty easily. We have that the union and power set of the union are sets directly from V and IV.

Briefly, suppose [tex]X \in A[/tex]. Then [tex]X \subseteq \bigcup A[/tex] by def. of union. So [tex]X \in \mathcal{P}(\bigcup A)[/tex].

The part I'm stuck on is when they're equal. I attempted to prove that [tex]\mathcal{P}(\bigcup A) \subseteq A[/tex] in order to get an idea of what condition A would need to meet.

My best guess is that they're only equal when A (at the very least) contains the emptyset and the singletons of every element in the union of all of A. Seems like a pretty circular definition, though, since I need to know what A is to know what the union of all of A is. Maybe I could say that A needs to be composed of the emptyset and the remaining elements must be singletons or else be the union of singletons already contained in A? I have thought about this a fair bit, and I'm pretty sure my condition ensures equality, so this isn't a random guess. Help would be appreciated.

Also, we have not really gotten into cardinality yet, but I do know that [tex]|S| \leq |\bigcup S|[/tex] if S is countable. But I also know that [tex]|\bigcup S| < |\mathcal{P}(\bigcup S)|[/tex]. So for our equality to hold, S must be uncountable...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dreyvas said:
The part I'm stuck on is when they're equal. I attempted to prove that [tex]\mathcal{P}(\bigcup A) \subseteq A[/tex] in order to get an idea of what condition A would need to meet.

My best guess is that they're only equal when A (at the very least) contains the emptyset and the singletons of every element in the union of all of A. Seems like a pretty circular definition, though, since I need to know what A is to know what the union of all of A is. Maybe I could say that A needs to be composed of the emptyset and the remaining elements must be singletons or else be the union of singletons already contained in A? I have thought about this a fair bit, and I'm pretty sure my condition ensures equality, so this isn't a random guess. Help would be appreciated.

Because you do not have any a priori structure on [tex]A[/tex] ([tex]A[/tex] is not assumed to be closed under unions or intersections or anything like that), there is no "simpler" condition that [tex]A[/tex] be all of [tex]\mathcal{P}\left(\textstyle\bigcup A\right)[/tex]. To say, as you have, that [tex]A[/tex] must contain the empty set, singletons, and all unions of singletons contained in [tex]A[/tex], is more or less exactly to say that [tex]A = \mathcal{P}\left(\textstyle\bigcup A\right)[/tex]: that is, it's not really a useful sufficient condition.

dreyvas said:
Also, we have not really gotten into cardinality yet, but I do know that [tex]|S| \leq |\bigcup S|[/tex] if S is countable. But I also know that [tex]|\bigcup S| < |\mathcal{P}(\bigcup S)|[/tex]. So for our equality to hold, S must be uncountable...?

Your first statement here is false: take [tex]S = \{\emptyset, \{0\}, \{1\}, \{0, 1\}\}[/tex]; then [tex]|S| = 4[/tex] while [tex]\left|\textstyle\bigcup S\right| = |\{0, 1\}| = 2[/tex].

Last edited:

Related to When Does A Equal the Power Set of Its Union?

What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects. It provides a formal language and framework for understanding and analyzing relationships between sets and their elements.

What is a set?

A set is a well-defined collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are all considered as a single entity. These objects can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

What is an element?

An element is an individual object that belongs to a set. It is represented by the notation "∈" which means "is an element of". For example, the number 3 is an element of the set {1,2,3}.

What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. It is denoted by the symbol "|A|" or "card(A)". For example, the set {1,2,3} has a cardinality of 3.

What are the basic operations in set theory?

The basic operations in set theory are union, intersection, and complement. Union (∪) combines all the elements of two or more sets into one set. Intersection (∩) finds the common elements between two or more sets. Complement (¬) finds all the elements that are not in a given set.