When complex integration depends on the method of evaluation

In summary, the conversation is about a scattering process described in a physics textbook and the ambiguity in defining an improper integral that arises from it. The integral in question has two possible results depending on the method used to define it, leading to different values in physics and mathematics. The conversation also discusses the importance of finding the principal value in such integrals and the need for clarity in choosing a method to integrate.
karlzr

Homework Statement

It is about an example from Essential Mathematical methods for physicists by Weber & Arfken, which describes a scattering process:
[tex]I(\sigma)=\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{x \sin x dx}{x^2-\sigma^2}[/tex]2. The attempt at a solution
The straightforward way is to contruct a contour and one can find the result is [itex]\pi \cos\sigma[/itex]. Then the author said that since this is not an outgoing scattering wave, we should try a different technique. He moved both singular points off the real axis by letting [itex]\sigma→\sigma+i\gamma[/itex], and obtained [itex]\pi e^{-i\sigma}[/itex] or [itex]\pi e^{i\sigma}[/itex].
My question is, how can one integration has two results? Both methods make sense to me, but lead to totally different values. This problem has bothered me a lot when discussing Green function in quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the integral is not well-defined in mathematics (unless σ=0 or with an imaginary part). You have a pole, and if you try to split up your integral, those parts will diverge. In physics, it can give meaningful results if you integrate in some specific way to avoid those issues, but then the result can depend on the integration method.

karlzr said:

Homework Statement

It is about an example from Essential Mathematical methods for physicists by Weber & Arfken, which describes a scattering process:
[tex]I(\sigma)=\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{x \sin x dx}{x^2-\sigma^2}[/tex]2. The attempt at a solution
The straightforward way is to contruct a contour and one can find the result is [itex]\pi \cos\sigma[/itex]. Then the author said that since this is not an outgoing scattering wave, we should try a different technique. He moved both singular points off the real axis by letting [itex]\sigma→\sigma+i\gamma[/itex], and obtained [itex]\pi e^{-i\sigma}[/itex] or [itex]\pi e^{i\sigma}[/itex].
My question is, how can one integration has two results? Both methods make sense to me, but lead to totally different values. This problem has bothered me a lot when discussing Green function in quantum mechanics.

You need to worry about how you define such an integral. Let's look at the integral over [0,∞), which we can regard as having f(x) in the numerator and (x^2-s^2) in the denominator; here, I write s instead of σ because it is easier. Assume s>0. The integral
[tex] J = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{f(x)}{x^2-s^2} \, dx [/tex] is improper, so let us try to define it through a limiting procedure. First, though, note that
[tex] J = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{f(x)-f(s)}{x^2-s^2} \, dx +
\int_0^{\infty} \frac{f(s)}{x^2-s^2} \, dx.[/tex]
The first integral is OK, so we need worry only about the second one; that is, we need to worry about the value of
[tex] K = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2} \, dx.[/tex]
This integral is improper, so must be defined in terms of some type of limiting procedure. Let us try the following:
[tex] K = \lim_{a,b \rightarrow 0+} J_{ab}, \text{ where } J_{ab} =
\int_0^{s-a} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2}\, dx
+ \int_{s+b}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2}\, dx.[/tex]
We have
[tex] J_{ab} = \frac{1}{2s} \ln \left(\frac{2s+b}{2s-a}\right) + \frac{1}{2s} \ln (a/b).[/tex]
If we let a and b go to zero independently, Jab need not have a limit, but if we let a and b go to zero in a fixed ratio k = a/b, the limit is
[tex] \frac{1}{2s} \ln (k). [/tex] You can see from this that the value of k matters a lot.

The most common form of such improper integrals is the "symmetric" version (called the principle value), which takes a = b and gives
[tex] J = \lim_{a \rightarrow 0+} \int_0^{s-a} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2} \, dx
+ \int_{s+a}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2} \, dx = 0.[/tex]
However, the undeniable fact is that how you define it can affect its value.

As to your question about getting the two possible values π*exp(± i σ), well I would worry even more about getting a complex value for a real integral; the integrand becomes real in the limit as γ → 0, but the integral remains stubbornly complex, with imaginary part equal to ± π sin(σ).

RGV

Last edited:
mfb said:
I think the integral is not well-defined in mathematics (unless σ=0 or with an imaginary part). You have a pole, and if you try to split up your integral, those parts will diverge. In physics, it can give meaningful results if you integrate in some specific way to avoid those issues, but then the result can depend on the integration method.

This kind of integration is quite common in physics and is an important part in every math physics textbook. In general, we need to find out the principal value of this integration. That is where ambiguity originates from, at least I think it is. Then how to deal with such integrations? I mean, it is possible that sometimes it is not so clear as to which method we should take to do the integration.

Ray Vickson said:
You need to worry about how you define such an integral. Let's look at the integral over [0,∞), which we can regard as having f(x) in the numerator and (x^2-s^2) in the denominator; here, I write s instead of σ because it is easier. Assume s>0. The integral
[tex] J = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{f(x)}{x^2-s^2} \, dx [/tex] is improper, so let us try to define it through a limiting procedure. First, though, note that
[tex] J = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{f(x)-f(s)}{x^2-s^2} \, dx +
\int_0^{\infty} \frac{f(s)}{x^2-s^2} \, dx.[/tex]
The first integral is OK, so we need worry only about the second one; that is, we need to worry about the value of
[tex] K = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2} \, dx.[/tex]
This integral is improper, so must be defined in terms of some type of limiting procedure. Let us try the following:
[tex] K = \lim_{a,b \rightarrow 0+} J_{ab}, \text{ where } J_{ab} =
\int_0^{s-a} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2}\, dx
+ \int_{s+b}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2}\, dx.[/tex]
We have
[tex] J_{ab} = \frac{1}{2s} \ln \left(\frac{2s+b}{2s-a}\right) + \frac{1}{2s} \ln (a/b).[/tex]
If we let a and b go to zero independently, Jab need not have a limit, but if we let a and b go to zero in a fixed ration k = a/b, the limit is
[tex] \frac{1}{2s} \ln (k). [/tex] You can see from this that the value of k matters a lot.

The most common form of such improper integrals is the "symmetric" version (called the principle value), which takes a = b and gives
[tex] J = \lim_{a \rightarrow 0+} \int_0^{s-a} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2} \, dx
+ \int_{s+a}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2-s^2} \, dx = 0.[/tex]
However, the undeniable fact is that how you define it can affect its value.

As to your question about getting the two possible values π*exp(± i σ), well I would worry even more about getting a complex value for a real integral; the integrand becomes real in the limit as γ → 0, but the integral remains stubbornly complex, with imaginary part equal to ± π sin(σ).

RGV

Yeah, it is weird that the second method which let's [itex]\sigma→\sigma+i\gamma[/itex] seems reasonable but leads to a complex result. So is this ambiguity common in complex integration or it just happens under some condition?

karlzr said:
This kind of integration is quite common in physics
I know, and quantum field theory lectures have them everywhere. If it works, it can be fine. But you can get that ambiguity or completely meaningless results, if you do it "wrong" (= not in the precise way the specific calculation requires).

Related to When complex integration depends on the method of evaluation

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral of a function over a complex-valued variable. It is an extension of real-valued integration, where the variable is limited to real numbers.

2. How does complex integration differ from real-valued integration?

The main difference between complex integration and real-valued integration is the variable over which the integral is calculated. In complex integration, the variable can take on complex values, while in real-valued integration, the variable is limited to real numbers.

3. What is the method of evaluation in complex integration?

The method of evaluation in complex integration refers to the technique used to calculate the integral. Some common methods include the use of Cauchy's integral formula, contour integration, and the residue theorem.

4. How does the method of evaluation affect the complexity of the integral?

The method of evaluation can greatly impact the complexity of the integral in complex integration. Some methods may be more efficient for certain types of integrals, while others may require more steps and computations.

5. Are there any limitations to complex integration?

Yes, there are limitations to complex integration. Some functions may not be integrable over complex variables, and certain methods of evaluation may not work for all types of integrals. It is important to carefully consider the function and the method of evaluation when approaching complex integration problems.